GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:33:35 EST
Thanks Ylva, I will be making my call first thing in the morning.

Jabou

In a message dated 3/7/00 6:56:59 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< URGENT ACTION ALERT ON DEBT RELIEF

 The US House of Representatives will take floor action on the supplemental
 request for the Fiscal Year 2000 budget on Thursday, March 16. Congress must
 appropriate $210m in supplemental funds RIGHT NOW in order to make good on
 the Clinton Administration's pledge at the Cologne Summit of the G-7 rich
 countries to start the process of debt cancellation for the Heavily Indebted
 Poor Countries (HIPC). Three-fourths of the HIPC countries are in
 Sub-Saharan Africa.

 In spite of all of the President's commitments at Cologne and all of the
 Africa rhetoric in Washington in recent weeks, there is ZERO money for
 Africa in the supplemental request that was just sent to the House printer.
 At this late date, only action by a few senior Republican members of the
 leadership and appropriations committee can change this situation.

 We urge you to make the time to check the following list of key
 Members of Congress who might be able to still make a change in
 this situation before it is too late.

 If you or other contacts you can make are in the home state of any of these
 Members please CALL their offices not later than Wednesday March 8, 2000 and
 tell tham that you want the $210m US contribution for the HIPC Trust Fund
 included in the Supplemental. And remind them that every dollar the US
 appropriates for multilateral debt relief will bring $20 additional dollars
 from other countries.

 CALL (202) 225-3121 and ask for the Members office.

 Thanks!

 KEY MEMBERS ON THIS URGENT DEBT ISSUE

 STATE DISTRICT NAME
 R-AL 1 Callahan