GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:51:52 -0400
Joe Sambou:

Many thanks for your eloquent posting.  Taking the Olive Branch, if meant
sincerely, is yet another strategy among others.  It is not abandoning the
principle to fight or a softening of our demands.  It is too late for that.  It
does not sap our will to fight but could strengthen it.  Nor does accepting
Jammeh's offer mean that we ignore his record.  As you suggested, it would be
another card in our hands.  Strategy and flexibility are important. We use that
which has the potential to meet our goals and use it appropriately.  This is
Diplomacy 101.  Go to war, but if the opportunity to negotiate avails itself or
is forced upon you, take it, but remain prepared to resume war.     The
historical backdrop that you took time to develop and to reveal how in South
Africa and other places varying strategies were used toward liberation, helped
in clarifying issues a lot.

I must say that the debate is healthy and fruitful. It is truly an exercise in
democracy. These are agonizing times for us all, especially the overseas
opposition.  We should remember that we are all in the same boat(including the
victors). Thus, drawing lines between those who support or oppose accepting
Jammeh's Olive Branch as representing those on the side of justice or tyranny,
is a false division and not a useful position.

In conclusion, the threats to life and limb to which the opposition (parties/
leaders/supporters ) are exposed and the daily indignities that accompany them,
should make us redouble our efforts to support the opposition parties at home
FINANCIALLY.  Otherwise, all this debate is meaningless.  If most of us
contributed generously as well as we debated (so eloquently), the election
results could have been different.

I humbly join Mr. Johnson and others before him to again call for donations to
the opposition.

Abdoulaye
No justice, no peace!