GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:18:47 EST
OB,
    Mr Kohler just doesn't in my view have the political finesse to run an
outfit like the Fund where vested and myriad interests abound and often
collide. The Fund is sometimes the arena for intense national interest
wranglings which needs an old hand at political management to square them.
Also I just don't think he has a good grasp of developmental economics and by
extension an in-depth understanding of the intricacies of developing
economies and their Socio - Political Frameworks. I don't think he will have
or give a good listening ear to the special case of developing economies
which nowadays swallow up a huge chunk of the Fund's resources. Since his
appointment was the result of backroom horse trading, a clumsy fiasco of a
selection procedure and diplomatic compromise, I don't think he will have an
easy ride with many of the Fund's major share holders especially Washington
[Congress and Senate Republicans] and the Fund staff might view him as an
imposition [which at any rate he is] on them which might spell doom for him
in the long run. Kohler's appointment signifies what is currently wrong with
international bodies. That they are archaic ridden bodies and are in bad need
of real and fundamental reforms.
    We might object to Herr Kohler's appointment, but I believe it would
serve everyone's interest to cooperate as much as one can and give him the
benefit of a doubt. And wish him luck in his new appointment. Luck which he
certainly would be needing a great deal.
Have a great evening.

Hamjatta Kanteh

hkanteh