GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Cisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:56:28 +0000
Jaajef Modou,

Alhamdulillah, thank you for your reply. In your response on 22/November/1999 10:29pm  you say:

" I must again emphasize that the rulings I forwarded are supported by concrete evidence from the Sunnah, since the Prophet (saw) has said that 'take your hajj rites from me' (Sahih Hadith). In addition I mentioned the reknowned Imaams of this Ummah like Imaam Ahamad, Hasan al-Basri and Ishaq to whom the same ruling is attributed.

Furthermore, I indicated that other reknown Imaams such as as-Shafi'i, Imaam Malik and al-Auza'i have a different view. However, I haven't seen their evidence as the former three. So I take the one that I am sure of until I get evidence that proves the one I have wrong. That is a fundamental principle in fiqh, jurisprudence

Salma Said said, "There is also a view that a woman may  travel by herself, provided the way to haj or Ħumrah is safe. The Prophet (s) is reported to have replied to a man who complained about highway robbery, "If you lived long enough you will see that a  woman will travel from Hira (in Iraq) and will perform tawaf around  Ka˘bah, and she will have no fear except that of Allah.""

My question is: Is this hadith authentic? If so, from which hadith source?"...........................

I have now located the Hadith source for Salma Said's quote, which is Bukhari;

"Bukhari reports from *Adi ibn Hatem, who said, *I was with the Prophet(s) when a man came to him and complained of poverty. Another man complained about highway robbery. Thereupon the Prophet(s) said: *O *Adi! Have you seen the city of Hira in Iraq?* I said, *No, but I have heard about it.* The Prophet(s) said: *If you lived long enough you will see that a woman will travel from Hira and will perform tawaf round Ka*bah, and she will no fear except that of Allah.* *

This does however leave a level of confusion as this quote from al-Bukhari seems to contradict the one you quote:

"It is not allowed for a woman to travel a day and night's distance except with a mahram."

which itself is contradicted elsewhere by al-Bukhari;

"Volume 2, Book 20, Number 192:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet said, "A woman should not travel for more than three days except with a Dhi-Mahram (i.e. a male with whom she cannot marry at all, e.g. her brother, father, grandfather, etc.) or her own husband.)"

I personally do think that this level of uncertainty does underline that there is a valid debate to be had about how these things are interpreted in the modern world, and indeed how the important other points raised by Salma Said are addressed.

Yeendu ak jaama

Tony