GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:49:29 EST
NADD Independent Candidacy Reaches 20
The Point
Thursday 4th December  2006
By Baboucarr Senghore & Awa Bojang

As the run-up to the National Assembly elections heats up, the number of
independent candidates applying for Nadd support to contest has reached 20 even
as more applications stream in.

Confirming this development to this reporter in an exclusive interview
yesterday, Hon. Halifa Sallah, the flag bearer of the NADD, said: “So far we  have
20 applying for NADD support in terms of independent candidates and seven
constituencies applying concretely to stand for Nadd. This is a process.
Cross-reading is still going on and people are still debating until the final  stage
as they are still working on the ground filling their nomination  papers.”
Quizzed on whether or not any discussions with the opposition  UDP/NRP/GPDP
alliance have taken place, Hon. Sallah said there could be no  discussions
because Nadd’s call for a tactical alliance has not been  acknowledged or matched
by the UDP. He posited that had that been the case,  arrangements could have
been made for both parties to meet. But, he lamented,  since the UDP announced
their resolve to put up candidates everywhere, they have  little choice.
“We are diplomats and we are mature in wider institutions. So  that is why we
did not contact them but decided to create a tactical alliance,  independent
on our own,” he added.

Commenting on his chances in his own constituency, the Nadd flag bearer and
member for Serrekunda Central said every body has the right to stand against
him  in seeking the mandate of the people. “For me I believe in a multi-party
system.  I am contesting against my opponents. I am seeking the mandate of the
people and  I believe I have the capacity. If the people of Serrekunda Central
wish to  exchange me for somebody else, its there prerogative but I believe
that I have  delivered and I have acquired the necessary lessons to represent
them not only  in The Gambia but internationally.”

Hon. Sallah further indicated that Nadd has been very circumspect in their
selection of candidates, citing Jarra West as an example. There, according to
him, Nadd has considered not to put up a candidate. He also added that they
are  withholding any consideration discouraging any body who wants to stand
there  because “we are assuming that the person who was the National Assembly
Member  before would still be standing as candidate.”