GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:14:43 +0200
Jabou Joh,
this is interesting. I was so shocked when I in november last year took a
walk in the coastal area between the village and the sea.
The sandmining has left large areas under water or as swamp and with my
knowledge of oceanography and experience from living at the danish west
coast, which has heavy erosion, I fear that the sea will undermine the
remaining sand hill. You have now a level inside the sand hill which is
under the ocean level. That can lead to water trying to level outside and
inside, and over time undermine the sand hill, so it will maybe one day sink
into the ocean. And the ocean and shore will come close up to the village
and the compounds. I´m not saying that this will happen, or it could happen
tomorrow. But I fear that it could happen in the future.
There are still people who have small gardens behind the sand hill.
Those who now want to sell land, is it land in this "danger-zone", or is it
land already "spoiled" due to the sand mining. Or are the plots up to the
new created water and swamp area, or maybe up to  area, where they do mining
or will do it in the future. Then the plots have not such a recreational
value.
Really interesting, who is selling, and where are the plots precisely.

Else I will say that it´s really nice to go and sit at the balcony outside
the resthouse in Kartong. Have your chicken yassa, enjoy the breeze, and the
conversation with the young people, the caretaker, or other guests.
 And I can understand why there are some you want to sell, for  many people
would love to have a plot such a place. Here in Europe we pay lots of money
for seaside plots.
In Denmark we got legislation two years back, which is meant to protect the
ocean-costal-zone. There is now a 300 meter zone (from the waterfront and
in) along the total coastline, where you can not do anything like establish
something permanent fixture. And there is also a 3 Kilometer zone along the
total coast-line, in which you have to ask the authorities if you want to
build, change your building, even if you want to paint the windows another
color. It´s very very restrictive, and it should be seen as the final
attempt from the authorities to protect our coastal area, preserve the
nature.
Regards from Asbjørn Nordam