GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:43:55 EDT
The ambassador's interview with the Daily observer while repugnant in it's
characterizations typifies the kinds of people associated with the Jammeh
administration. At various times during the interview he tries to obfuscate
and rationalize the very apparent evil that his gov't is known for. Nowhere
could he muster the courage to appear decent and tell the interviewer that
the pariah status of his gov't has made the job of amateur diplomats like
himself here in the US impossible. Ambassador Bojang or anyother emissary of
Yahya Jammeh would never get anything done here in Washington precisely
because they are considered radioactive   and unworthy of engagement. The US
government is not in the business of cavorting dictators and tyrants. That is
why Mr Bojang would spend his time here going to bookfairs , grocery shopping
and dozing off in that dysfunctional office of theirs. Did I read him saying
he was out to cultivate relationships with the US that was based on
partnerships as opposed to donor/recepient relationship? That is some
chutzpah  from the representative of a government who have daily TV and radio
broadcast about receiving used cloths or equipment or another kind of hand
out  from governments and charities the worldover.The problem the ambassador
and his government has with the US are the stiff statutory and administrative
sanctions  that has been triggered by their very nature as murderers stoking
civil strife.As a result the gov't would continue to spend resources to
maintain an embassy that would serve no useful purpose but to have Mr Bojang
be here in a town he will never be able to operate in.He also showed
shameless and creul disregard for the lives of the children killed in April
by trying to absolve the man he personally owes his job to and attempting to
cast doubt on the culpability of authorities. Somehow he wants people to
subscribe to the banal Isatou Njie Saidy theory of  criminal elements within
the demonstrators being responsible for the killings . This was in contrast
to the sentiments he expressed at the embassy when we confronted him. On that
day he seemed disoriented and unfocused after trying to avoid us by shutting
down the office on our first demonstration and coming several hours late on
the second. Infact I would try to have the audio transcripts of the meetings
put up at gambian.com for list members to listen to Mr Bojang. He did not try
to peddle this absolution nonesense he has apparently told the Observer. He
kept pretending to be contrite about the loss of life when on the whole he is
not! Finally he tries to heap scorn on Gambians in the US as not sending a
butut back home. Well, what does the ambassador know? I am sure he knows
nothing about the various people who are in the remittance facilitation
business forwarding monthly allowances for thousands of people in the US to
their families back home.But again this is a man representing a gov't who has
declared war on it's people, so I am not inclined  to take his slander and
lies seriously. At most we have about twelve more months of Bojang and his
gov't before we start on a clean slate and actually have here in Washington
representation and an office that is worthy of us as a people. Only then
would we take our place in the family of nations and have people with the
requisite credentials and stature to represent and safeguard our interests.

Karamba