GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:46:10 +0100
 Jamba

Thanks for bringing our attention to the Oputa
Commission. I have been following the proceedings of
the Human Right Commission and I must say a lot has
been revealed about Abacha's reign of terror to that
the Nigerian Civil War of 1967.

You are right to suggest that we keep a close eye on
this commission. My only disappointment with this
commission is that it is toothless, it is not a court
and so far the likes of  General Ibrahima Badamasi
Babangida have refused to appear and explain his
alleged role in the assasination of Dele Giwa.

If we anticipate having a Truth and Restitution
Commission as seen in the case of Nigeria, then human
rights advocates should start following the
proceedings on the Oputa Commission, we need to learn
about this commission before advocating for a similar
one to be instituted in the Gambia.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

Nothing was more exciting today than to have heard