GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:37:52 -0700
Modou and Sheikh,

Yes, this is indeed very sad. Below is a longer version of the story:

Ebrima.

Swedish Foreign Minister Lindh Dies After Stabbing
59 minutes ago
Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!
By Stephen Brown
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh died in hospital Thursday, a day after being stabbed by a mystery attacker, stunning a normally peaceful nation as it prepared for a crucial referendum on the euro.

Reuters Photo

AP Photo Slideshow: Swedish Foreign Minister Lindh Stabbed

 Latest news, photos,
videos and more

Lindh, 46, who had been tipped as a future prime minister and was a leading campaigner for Sweden to join the European Union (news - web sites)'s single currency in Sunday's referendum -- now in doubt -- was stabbed repeatedly in a Stockholm department store.

"Her family has lost a mother and a wife. Social Democracy has lost one of its most gifted politicians. The government has lost a skilled politician and a good colleague. Sweden has lost its face toward the world," said Prime Minister Goran Persson.

Tributes to one of Sweden's most popular politicians had poured in from all over Europe as surgeons at Stockholm's Karolinska hospital struggled all night to save her life.

But Thursday the hospital issued a statement saying that Lindh had died of "massive bleeding caused by knife wounds to the liver and many of the big blood vessels in the abdomen."

The stabbing took place in the final days of campaigning for the referendum, but it was not clear whether they were linked.

Politicians were to meet at noon to decide whether the referendum should go ahead. Lindh had campaigned for the pro-euro side, which has trailed opponents in opinion polls.

"It's a 50:50 chance whether the referendum will now go ahead," said HSBC analyst Peter Lindquist. "They might postpone it for a few weeks or months."

MANHUNT FOR KILLER

Ordinary Swedes left red roses at the hospital and the store where she was killed, shocked at the first political killing in their country since the unsolved assassination of Prime Minister Olof Palme in a Stockholm street in 1986.

Except for Persson, politicians in Sweden rarely have bodyguards to ensure they keep close to the electorate -- a policy now likely to be reviewed across the Nordic region.

Persson called the stabbing "an attack on our open society" and urgently ordered increased security around King Carl XVI Gustaf, top politicians and major public buildings.

Police scoured the country for Lindh's killer, described only as tall and "Swedish looking," who dumped his army jacket and knife near the scene of the attack in central Stockholm. Store video footage was being scanned for clues to his identity.

Politicians suspended all euro campaign activities in tribute to Lindh.

"It is horrible and incomprehensible," said Maud Olofsson, head of the opposition Center Party. "Sweden has lost a great politician and a fantastic foreign minister."

Lindh was a forceful voice on human rights who dubbed President Bush (news - web sites) a "lone ranger" for going to war in Iraq (news - web sites). She criticized Italy's current EU presidency, saying Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi did not enjoy wide support.

In the German parliament, speaker Wolfgang Thierse broke into a budget debate to break the news to shocked deputies, while Britain's Minister for Europe Dennis MacShane told BBC radio it was an "incalculable" loss to European politics.

"She would have been a very big figure, I think a future prime minister of Sweden, a big figure on the European and international stage," he said. "Everybody loved her."
Married with two children, she became foreign minister in 1998 after a stellar career in the Social Democratic Party which has ruled Sweden for six of the last seven decades.

Sheikh Tejan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Mododou ,
Its sad to hear of the the death of Anna Lindh. A peaceful and tolerant society is now becoming violent like most of the countries all of the world .We hope an pray that
Allah will change the hearts of those who breed violence. May her soul rest in perfect peace .

Chi Jamma ,