GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:32:38 EDT
Hi Yero, Haruna here.

You know I like Shakespaere. I used to share some of his works a lot at
Posten and I discovered Joe loved them too. So I want to share with you here one
of my favourite soliloquies. That of Brutus.

This was ACT II Scene I - Rome. Brutus had overslept on the dawn of the
insiduous and ill-considered plot to stab Caesar. You can see here that Brutus  is
severely conflicted because Caesar was heretofore his friend. But to work
himself up to be complicit in Caesar's murder, he must must frame the man around
 his excesses. Sort of like drugging yourself to comit a crime you really did
not  intend to comit. Brutus would sidle onto his porch and begin:

Brutus: It must be by his death: and for my part, I know no  personal cause
to spurn at him, But for the general. He would be crown'd: How  that might
change his nature, there's the question. It is the bright day that  brings forth
the adder; and that craves wary walking. Crown im? - that; And  then, I grant,
we put a sting in him, that at his will he may do danger  with.

The abuse of greatness is, when it disjoins remorse from power:  and, to
speak truth of Caesar, I have not known when his affections sway'd more  than his
reason. But 'tis common proof, that lowliness is young ambition's  ladder,
whereto the climber-upward turns his face; but when he once attains the  upmost
round, he then unto the ladder turns his back, looks in the clouds,  scorning
the base degrees by which he did ascend.

So Caesar may, then, lest he may, prevent. And since quarrel will  bear no
colour for the thing he his, fashion it thus; that what he is,  augmented, would
run to these and these extremeties: And therefore, think him as  a serpent's
egg which, hatch'd, would, as his kind, grow mischievous, and kill  him in the
shell.

Tell our friend Demba that I have personally taken over your tutelage, sans
fee. But you must focus and do your assigned reading:

Assignment 1. Read "A Comedy of Errors" by Shakespaere before our next
meeting. Remember I will find out if you did not read it or if you listened to  the
tape or watched theDVD instead. For I am your mentor now.

Later. Haruna.

In a message dated 8/26/2008 9:56:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,