GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sulayman jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:47:28 PDT
Ebrima

I again thank bro KB for his reaction on the above theme. I am not surprosed
by the suspension of the commission. I mean you can always see it coming. I
remember that the coalition of human right lawyers, Lawyer Emmanuel Joof et
al., opposed the commissin under its terms of reference. If I understand
their objection correctly, it was on the basisthat the TOR were not far
reaching enough, as it did not give them (the commission) authority to find
who is wrong. So you can say the commission was bound to fail since the
start.

The commission was supposed to use the findings of the Coroner's Inquest as
an input. More than a month after the Coroner finish his work (up to the
time i left the country), the report was not made public. One can sniff an
official cover up. What is particularly annoying is the fact that senior
government officials testified under oath, before the commission, that live
bullets were not used, even in the face of medical evidence that real
bullets were fired. Chie among such liars are SOS Ousman "the Devil" Badji.
If you hear Badji speak on GRTS you will think he is bravest man that ever
lived on this universe, while the man ran for his useless life when students
confronted him on April 10.

For me we do not have to look farther than Jammeh to lay the blaim. My
theory is this. Jammeh is President, Commander-in-Chief, Baron, and God
knows what else. He has the ultimate command. No one is competent enough to
give an order to insecurity forces to kill on harmless students. On his
return, he said he was in constant touch with his people while he was in
Cuba. This means he was aware of that was unfolding. So, either he gave the
order, or authorise somebody to give the order or he agreed with whoever
gave the order An old man from Brikamaba told the commission that, Cherno
Touray told him that the order came from Jammeh. HE SHOULD THEREFORE HAVE
BEEN CALLED TO TESTIFY. If President Clinton could be asked to face a grand
jury, what of Jammeh?

Gambians back home took a lot of interest in the proceedings of the
commssion. Commission chambers were always filled to capacity. When people
are given chance to ask questions, very critical questions were asked. I
myself had the chance to cross examine many of those who were called to
testify. What people could not uderstand is this. The president of the
uiversity students union had vital information concerning April 10,
especially about encounters with Badj. He was subpoenaed on several
occassions, but up to my departure he was not given the chance to testify!

I am sure that families, friends, relatives and school mates of the victims
will not allow this matter to die like this.

Thanks and i wish all G-lers a great day.

Sulayman Jobarteh