GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:56:37 EDT
Apparently Brother KB has gone past his quota, and wasn't able this important
commentary in ... i'm therefore sending it in on his behalf. By the way, who
came up with this idea of quotas? It's becoming something of an inconvenience.

Hamjatta

**********************

As we speak/write, I hope stalwarts on the ground are putting together the
finishing touches to Darboe’s first speech as PRESIDENT OF THE GAMBIA. If
Darboe exercises the wisdom, courage and integrity he showed in his legal
practice for two decades, I have no doubt that he will make a fantastic
president. He is known for his tenacity when he fights for his clients and
his humanity when he listens to and agrees to represent the victims of
oppression. The speech should be addressed to ALL Gambians, no matter their
political affiliations, tribal background, or social standing.

Darboe’s message during the campaign trail has to be reiterated. The
government will be one that respects the rule of law. No Gambian will be
railroaded and due process thrown out of the window.  One of Darboe’s first
executive actions vis-à-vis the rule of law, should be to free all political
prisoners in the country. By the same token, criminals that are currently
running around the country willy-nilly should be apprehended and brought to
book. The ball should also be set in motion to remove from our law books all
those draconian decrees promulgated by Yaya.

Another Darboe campaign theme has to be reiterated. ALL Gambians that put in
a decent day’s job have to be guaranteed a decent living. Policies have to
be put in place in ensure that when our farmers toil the whole year round,
they will be able to feed their families, put their children through school
and afford medicine when they are ill. I am confident that the team of
professionals behind Darboe will have no problems ensuring that our farmers
have bumper harvests and also have an outlet to sell their produce.

I am also confident that Darboe’s economic team will solve the fundamental
problem facing our economy. Our loan burden will be reduced, foreign
currency markets stabilized and prices of important commodities reduced. In
short, Darboe and his team should guarantee ALL hardworking Gambians a
decent standard of living. Gone will be the days when a few thugs will
monopolize wealth in the country, stealing from government coffers. The new
government should institute checks and balances aimed at eradicating
corruption in our midst. With all due respect to Darboe and his team, fixing
the Gambian economy is NO feat at all. With a clean heart, dedication to
duty and little commonsense, our problems can be easily solved. I have no
doubt in my mind that the heavy-weight surrounding Darboe will have no
problems returning our economy to the days when ‘re-export trucks’ will line
Picton Street from Wellington to Dobson while other trucks are parked at Box
Bar. I dare say that the next government can even surpass those times.

With a healthy economy, the sky is the limit. When Gambians enjoy freedom,
they flourish. This is evidenced by the numerous Gambian heavy-weights in
the Diaspora doing great jobs in the various international institutions.
With a conducive environment, those Gambians together with those currently
in the country can do a tremendous job moving our people FORWARD. Darboe
would NOT have to make to the Gambian people some of the ridiculous and
empty promises Yaya is making knowing full well that he is NOT going to
deliver.

Yaya is FINISHED. Just like Darboe brought people from all Parties to UDP,
he should act as the PRESIDENT of the whole country and provide for ALL
citizens. That is the wise thing to do and it is also the right thing to do
and PRESIDENT DARBOE will do it. But Darboe’s speech will NOT be complete
without congratulating the brave people on the ground that stood up and said
that enough is enough.
KB