GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baboucarr jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:08:21 -0400
Folks,

To begin with,I personally do not endorse a PPP old-guard come-back into the
political spectrum of the Gambia at this point in time given the fact that
'actors must leave the stage after playing their
part'(Shakespeare).However,we must give the devil it's due in the spirit of
fairness.The fact that they have led us to independence and ruled Gambia for
thirty years with the rule of law and recognition of human rights being the
order of the day warrants some form of commendation.Therefore castigating
them in negative language or juxtaposing their human rights violation record
with that of Jammeh-piloted government is uncalled-for.Of course everybody
knows that the terror and economic misery that Jammeh and his crew subjected
the Gambia to cannot be compared to the PPP regime.I respectfully urge
Jasseh-Conteh,Saiks and others to recognise this fact. I am of the opinion
that they PPP have played their part;should retire and give chance to a new
breed of politicians to lead us this time.Comments like they should instead
be 'doing community service'by Jabou also need to be given a second thought.

Besides,we mustn't forget that this is a democracy requiring every qualified
citizen to be given a chance to aspire for public office.If the electorate
are convinced that PPP is the right calibre to be reinstated after
experimenting;there is nothing wrong with that in the spirit of democracy.
Thank goodness, Gambians have now smelled the coffee.Once again we must not
forget that the issue here is not fishing out scape-goats but how to restore
sanity in the Gambia.

However it is understandable that the misinformation and confusion about the
alliance has propelled some folks to jump-ship in the struggle but I
respectfully urge folks to be rational in making dissenting
statements.Peace.

Jobs.