GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:01:38 -0400
A  CONFUSED EXECUTIVE CONFUSING THE NATION _ THE VEIL ISSUE
The veil issue first arose when some members of  the Supreme Islamic
Council visited the President and lamented that some women who wish to wear
the veil in schools and offices were  being discriminated while those who
put on short skirts were accommodated. The President acknowledged their
concern and promised to deal with anyone who tries to prevent  such women f
from putting on the veil. The first people to react were the principals of
certain schools like Saint  Theresa’s Upper Basic School. They maintained
that the school uniform has remained standard for years and had never been
altered. They decided to contact the Department of State for Education for
clarification. The  Department of State later communicated that it was
government policy  to leave the children to put on veil. This gave rise to
heated exchanges between the Department and the mission. Eventually their
was a compromise. In order to clarify matters for the public, the PDOIS
members of the National Assembly posed a question during its last sitting
regarding government policy on the veil. The Secretary of State for
Education gave the following answer: “The veil issue has been vigorously
examined within the Gambian legal framework that ensures the rights and
freedom of the individual on the basis of  the  principles of coexistence.
My Department of State  issued directives specific to the veil and not the
full Hijab as follows:
1.	Students wearing the veil should be allowed into schools irrespective of
ownership.
2.
3.	Students who prefer the full Hijab, that is long dress should go to
Arabic Islamic Schools.
4.	The colour of the veil remains the discretion of the school
administration and no ornament, decoration or embroidery on the veil is
permissible and students who choose to wear veil should participate fully
in every curricular activity including physical education.”
This was government policy indicated by the Secretary of State for
Education to the members of the National Assembly.
On July 22nd, President Jammeh indicated that he allowed all this to test
who were behind the veil and then gave a decree that such people will go to
jail if the girls go to school with veil. He insulted the girls wearing
veils by claiming that they put on the veil to go to school and put it off
to wear Bikini after school. He further went on to  utter derogatory
remarks which offended people  like  Imam  Fatty. The point at issue  is
not Christians versus Muslims . Gambians still remain very tolerant of
religious diversity. We have called on the supreme Islamic council and the
Christian council to look at the issue of the veil so that school system is
not divided on religious lines We asked whether the integrity of Islam is
defended by compelling non Muslim girls to put on the Veil as part of their
uniform only to take it off  after school. We have also questioned how the
integrity of Christianity can be safeguarded  by l defending the use of
skirts in mission schools. We hope the two councils will meet to promote
mutual tolerance of minorities in all institutions. This is the way forward
Halifa Sallah

http://mail2web.com/ .