GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:03:07 -0000
Ebou,

I just can't get over your piece, i kept on thinking what could be the
practical solution to this horror.  This is just state terrorism.

But before i get into what I think could be an additional solution, I would
like to clarify certain issues you raised in your posting.You mentioned the
relationship between civilians and the army.  I believe the reasons for this
degenerating relationship is due to the fact that  civilians are convinced
that it is the military who created the present situation.  The first person
to harass a civilian will be a military man.  The people doing Jammeh's
dirty jobs would be military men. Yes, there are civilians involved for
selfish reasons just like the military but don't forget who is carrying the
gun? People associate the military  with terrorist act due to the encounters
they have with them. Immediately  after the AFPRC came to power the
Civilian-Military relations declared.  The army was removed from it serving
role to a ruling one. They start using  force for both military and
political reasons and even in the military scenario it is violating human
rights. Believe me the military does not have a good record at all. We
cannot blame the civilians whose rights are taken away from them by soldiers
ruling them with guns. Harassed and Terrorised by men in arm, this position
of the army needs to be clarify if we are to move our relationship better.

Yes, there should be a better relationship between the military and the
civilians because not all of them are involved in Jammeh's filthy job. But
they have to come forward to show the people that they are different. That
people can trust them and the next person knocking at their doors  to harass
them won't be that military man. And they represents the interest of the
people and not ruling and terrorising them. A democratic army always defends
and never attacks its people.  And it is good to see someone with a
different perspective of what the role of a military is.

Some of the solutions to these disturbing issues you raised can be addressed
through the use of the machineries available. That is filing a complaint to
the OMBUDSMAN, I know am saying this but I don't even believe that it will
work knowing how the system works. But we can give it a try and this will be
a challenge to the OMBUDSMAN he cannot just seat there and be paid a salary
without a job to do. This will be his first test.  We can file a complaint
and demand a thorough investigation on the issues raised. Families should
come forward and give names of those missing to the OMBUDSMANS for further
investigation. I know this might sound neive but I believe Jammeh need to be
challenged on the ground through the use of the machineries he created to
safe guard himself. How will this process work, we have to get into the
process first. I bet most Gambians don't know that these incidents  really
occur.Therefore taking it up with the OMBUDSMAN will challenge the ARPRC
regime and the OMBUDSMAN. We have to start looking at the opportunities that
are available and use them.  It can be a committee of volunteers who will
write the complaint letter including your postings to the OMBUDSMAN for
further clarifications. I can understand what these families are going
through, not knowing where your child, husband,father, brother, uncle is and
if not alive where he is buried.

Thirdly, we have the African Commission on Human and People's Right where we
can also file a compliant. Infact it is in our back yard and as I said
before these bodies need to be challenged. We have to make sure that these
rights and procedures are not only on paper but can be translated into
practical reality for the people. I know that the  complaint procedure is
one of the major mechanisms under the African human rights system. You can
demand the commission not to disclose your identity, if one prefers that.

Fourthly, there is a need for a mass political movement to address these
issues as well as deal with these information that are coming out.The
information need to be investigated and look upon. We cannot allow the AFPRC
regime to continue turning the country into a killer state and  Gambians
into killers." THIS IS NOT GAMBIAN."

Finally, as it has already been said something has to be done practically,
the theories are over. This is not only a concern to the military or people
who lose their families but all of us as Gambians. It could be anyone of us.

NB: Dr Sainea, I don't know whether the healing and reconciliation committee
can take up this challenge as well. Since it is about reconciliation and
healing these people need to know the where about of their families and
children. In the process of reconciliation and healing the AFPRC regime need
tell us where these bodies are kept or if alive where are they are held.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh