GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:24:03 -0700
Brother Sidibeh,

Great! Thank you very much for this interesting response. I hope others will join the debate. I will come back later.

For now, I just want to say that I think there is a BIG difference between Imam Fatty and Ebou Jallow. As far as I know, Imam Fatty has never been accused, or suspected of any improper activity, let alone criminal activity, or for not telling the truth. The only thing one can have a problem with is the fact that he held and expressed views--that some did not like or agree with--on certain social issues, and not others.

On the other issues you raised, I agree with you on some points, but on others I have a different take. More on all that later.

Again, many thanks, cheers and all the best,

Ebrima.

Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Brother,

My sincere apologies for this tardy response.
First allow me to say that I am much pleased to have convinced you to post your contribution to the list. It has not only opened up the space for continued dialogue on this important issue but it has also raised the bar for a more rigorous look at our society and the role muslims leaders could play in shaping its destiny.

I agree that choosing names to fill a list of national heroes is partly a matter of appreciation. But whatever the appreciation, aesthetic or political, it must reflect some value judgement. The good Imam's recent bravery, confronting the President on a matter relating to clerical interpretation of Scripture needs weighing against his anterior remarkabale cowardice in failing to speak the plain truth to tyranny. Yes, he like everyone else, plus Ebou Jallow and other Gambian Uriah Heeps, do qualify as prospective candidates for rehabilitation, especially when they finally come around to some sanity and courage.

But I would suggest that we lay the case of the good Imam aside and explore what you touched on as the case for our collective reorientation in the way progressives need to canvass the support of, and enlist the confidence of those who speak truth to power. I agree that in the popular struggle for democratic rights, antagonising a group as powerful as the muslim clergy is potentially defeatist, and is indeed inconsistent with the overall progressive agenda for social and cultural progress.

I think our dilemma arises from how to react appropraitely to the tactical use of religion by the current regime, to desecularise the Gambian state in favour of one that is Islamic apparently for puny political gain, as opposed to a genuine philosophical and practical co-optation of Islamic values as instruments for honourable social engineering.

In spite of the humiliating defeat at the hands of the colonialists, Gambian Islam was perhaps the strongest indegenous force that sought to bring some stable form of politcal and social order in the states along the banks of the river. That this attempt to pacification was itself violent is partly because Islam itself to a large measure, came to us on horseback wielding a sword of conquest and rejecting coexistence with indegenous belief systems. Nevertheless it was the tenacity and sacrifice of various imams and their followers that resulted to mass social awakening not only to a monotheist spirituality but to the institutionalisation of cultural and social values and norms grafted into our customs and traditionsms, that presently form the bedrock of Gambian identity.. The Imams and their followers went to the people, introduced learning and the magic of writing, and popularised the secrets embedded in the sacred scripts of the Quran inspite of its complex Arabic liturgy; they
 offered acceptable explanations of the world to populations long held captive by superstition and through them the Mosque became endowed with the power of the keys, deciding who should, after death, be rewarded with immortality in Jannah and who should be exiled into a province less habitable than Danté's Inferno; the clergy became the moral pillars of society, providing guidance and sanctuary to confused minds and deciding what was and what was not appropriate behaviour in all aspects of social interaction.

Colonial conquest swept away much of the authority of this power partly through the defeat and humiliation of leaders like Maba Jahu Bah, Foday Kombo Sillah and Faody Kabba Dumbuya; and partly because the colonial government took control both of education and the economic life of society. Yet another explanation is the decisive colonial constitutional seperation of state and church/mosque.

I am not familiar with the circumstances surrounding the rise and fall of the Gambia Muslim Congress. But I think we can be pretty certain that since the defeat at the hands of the colonialists, Gambian Islam has never effectively risen to pose a any serious challenge to the authority of the secular state. Unlike the Mourides in Senegal, Gambian Islam lacks the organisational sophistication and the economic wherewithal to remain independent of the intrusive authority of the state. (Ousman Manjang once wrote that it still is riddled with the anarchy of its violent past).
There have been members of the clergy who in the past were famous for making socially progressive and government critical sermons against the Jawara regime. The late Hatab Bojang of Gunjur and Oustas Gassama readily come to mind. There have indeed been countless numbers of imams and other religious leaders who were critical to Jawara's misrule but most of them remained vocal within the confines of the mosque, never really openly challenging the political order for its obvious shortcomings. The state remained effectively seperate from the mosque, relatively speaking. Until President Jammeh almighty stepped in.

True, many if not all of us have our judgement influenced by western anti-islamic propaganda. Seeing a fundamentalist wolf behind every bush is symptomatic of our times. While we must reject that outlook it should be instructive if that prompts us to be self-critical of our religion as it is interpreted and practiced around the world. I agree that we do not see muslim leaders chairing high-profile conferences such as was held in Benin. But it is equally true that we do not often see muslim leaders standing firmly on the side of the poor challenging tyranny for economic and social justice and for political and cultural rights for women and repressed minorities. It was Latin-American priests bolstered by what came to be known as liberation theology, who championed the struggle for land reform and made the Gospel contextually relevant to the actuality of struggle against dictatorships in that part of the world. As far as I know, it is Catholic priests who are more actively engaged in
 the struggle against the Aids pandemic in Africa. Desmond Tutu, Bishop Carol Belo, Dr. Martin Luther King, all men of the church, have championed the cause of freedom and peace and became household names worldwide like no other muslim leaders I know of.

Baba Leigh, the imam of Kanifing(?) has been one outspoken and consistent social critic of the Jammeh regime. I believe that it is possible to dialogue with imam Baba Leigh and others on issues of HR and democracy. But since imam Fatty's past attitude was silence on these matters we can only hope that he now has mustered sufficient courage to do what Allah (SWT) expects of true muslims. We should embrace imam Fatty, as you said, but I think we also need to make a distinction between imam and imam in order not to risk diluting the liberationist mission of progressives.

Many, many thanks once again for using your valuable time for sharing your opinion.

Momodou

.