GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:49:59 -0600
Hello, Habib.  My brother also played football in high school, I don't think he played basketball, though.  My dad did, though.  He told me a story once that his school played against the high school Larry Bird went to, since my dad and Larry Bird grew up in the same general vicinity in Southern Indiana.  My dad said he was a senior at the time and Larry Bird would have been probably a freshman.  He said that, of course, Larry Bird was much better than he was.  So growing up my dad always watched the Celtics.  And we really thought it was neat that Brid coached the Pacers for the 3 years that he did...  I think he did a better job than Isiah Thomas is doing now.  Thomas just seems to me to be fumbling around, it's like he's coaching but doesn't know what he's doing.  I think Bird had a better handle on coaching...
     But we will see since the Pacers do have some really young guys on the team...
     I don't usually watch too much college basketball, unless I'm at my parents' house, or during March Madness...  My father's a big University of Kentucky fan.  And my grandfather, my mom's dad, he is a big IU fan.
     I kind of got into football shortly before I moved back up here to Indiana...  I was in the kitcehn eating and just happened to turn on the TV in there, and started watching.  Then when I moved up here, I started watching because it reminded me of home.
     And I started asking questions about the strategy of the game and the rules, and I think I understand most of it, I think...
     As far as the Redskins go, I don't know too much about this story.  If it is what I am thinking it is, does it have to do with changing the name because Native Americans find it offensive?  Because they were having this discussion on a radio talk show last week...  Some people wanted to change the names because they truly felt they were offensive.  Then you had others who felt there was no harm in the names and that this was all just a bunch of political correct nonsense.  My take on it is that it seems that if we were talking about any other group of people, then we wouldn't be naming our teams any kind of offensive names.  I don't understand the need to hold on to these names.  But I don't know...
     I guess this is an area I don't know much about.  But if the names truly represent soemthing offensive, then they do need to be changed...
Ginny