GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:13:11 +0000
Gambia-L:

Find below an interesting news item in today's issue of the Daily Observer.
Make sure you read between the lines and form your own judgement on the
Tombong Saidy "dismissal" saga.

Ebrima

Tombong Saidy of GRTS fired? (Culled from the Daily Observer, 28/9/01)

Sources from within GRTS have revealed to the Daily Observer that Tombong
Saidy, the director general of Gambia Radio and Television Services was
sacked last Wednesday.

Our sources cited the following reasons that might have contributed to Mr
Saidy's sacking:

Mr Saidy was accused of using an iron hand to run the affairs of the GRTS
leading to the low morale of the staff resulting in mass resignations; Mr
Saidy was also accused of dedicating little time to his official work and
concentrating more on other personal business activities; the never ending
and highly publicised pajero raffle which GRTS reportedly kept prolonging
because the money received so far did not cover the cost of the pajero; that
GRTS incurred huge losses in the hosting of the wrestling bout between two
Senegalese wrestlers, Fadam and Tyson and the visit of Sheik Sheriffudeen.

When our reporters visited the offices of GRTS to verify Mr Saidy's reported
dismissal, Borra Mboge, manager TV programmes, demanded to know the source
of our information which our reporter refused to divulge. Mr Mboge then
said, "I have no comment.

A top official within GRTS who spoke to the Daily Observer on the basis of
anonymity said, "anyway, Mr Saidy is still the director general". When the
Daily Observer spoke to Mr Tombong Saidy by telephone to verify his reported
dismissal, he described the report as unfounded. "I am still the director
general of GRTS," Mr Saidy asserted.

(Culled from the Daily Observer, 28/9/01)