GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:25:42 +0100
Gassa,

The remarks in this forwarded article remind me of arguments I advanced in the first part of my article The Fisherman's Tale 2.

UDP, interestingly is a party of which it can be claimed that both its coming into being and its pallid demise are important for the evolution of the Gambian polity.
The class of politicians whose parties were banned following the '94 coup could not simply wither away by decree. From PPP and NCP they all needed to oppose the APRC to justify their own identities as politicians in the first place. Even when the brutal facts of oppositional politics dawned on them, it felt legitimate to oppose for the sake of opposition.
That wobbly position could not possibly be maintained after the failure of the coalition and the subsequent victory of the APRC. Issue-oriented allegiance in politics, however bogus, must eventually dictate the composition of herds and flocks even such leanings are driven by instinct. It is simply impossible for former PPP and NCP members to remain faithful in a marriage of convenience forever.

On the other hand, NDAM's coming into being is of immediate importance. Waa Juwara, even if he had genuine reasons to scuttle from party to party for the best part of two decades, must settle down and grow roots for his own credibilty. To have struggled for so long in identifying genuine travelling companions, to be in a permanent state of flux, and to be seemingly beset with an unquenching desire to migrate within such an easy geography, betrays a strong streak of pathological restlessness. There are reasons to believe that Waa Juwara has finally reached home.

Sidibeh