GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:50:51 -0600
In any democracy what matters is that the people should be given a chance to
determine who their leaders should be.  In that context, the results of the
2001 presidential election in The Gambia suggested that the majority have
selected Yaya Jammeh to be their next president.  From what the
international observers are suggesting, it appeared the people of the Gambia
exercised their right to freely choose their leader.  Therefore, the view of
the majority should be respected by all Gambians.  I believe this is the
view of Ousainou Darboe when he congratulated Yaya and accepted defeat.
That is mature and responsible leadership.  I congratulate Yaya and wish him
well in the task that is entrusted to him by all Gambian.  I urge him to be
the president of all Gambians irrespective of party allegiances.  After all,
in a true democracy we should expect and accommodate differences of opinion.

I also wish to thank Ousainou for courageously accepting the view of the
majority of Gambians.  That view, should be the view of all Gambian now that
the elections are over, and what is left is nation building.  We should help
Yaya to succeed in that so that the lot of our people will be better than
what it is now.

I am convinced that there are many supporters of the opposition including
myself who, do not dislike Yaya because of who he is.  Rather, for me, the
issue is more to do with his policies both internal and foreign.  Foremost
among these on the internal front are the abuse of human rights, disregard
for the rule of law and lack of proper accountability in a number of ways.
On the foreign front, the government when it decides or speaks, should
always be mindful of the repercussions such acts or statements would have on
the image of the Gambia as well as the well being of Gambians.   I hope Yaya
in his second term will address these issues so that those who oppose him on
these issues will have less to criticize him about.

With respect to the opposition parties, I say thank you  and bravo for a
hard fight.  In the finally analysis, what is important is to be given the
freedom to explain your ideas and plans to the Gambian people.  That way,
they have an opportunity to hear an alternative view from that of the ruling
party, in this case the APRC.  Let us forget our bitterness and
disappointments and accept the will of the people.  Always remember that our
voice is very important, because it acts as a check on what the government
does.

Bakary J Sonko.