GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:49:59 +0000
Sister Jabou,
The international community can indeed play a vital role in resolving the
political mayhem we presently have in the Gambia. It may however be
dangerous if  multilateral institutions, as alluded to in your write-up, are
allowed to play a lead role. We have seen instances where international
observers have endorsed doubtful election results. This normally emanates
from the fact that they concentrate on elections rather than election
processes. I agree they can be involved but this should be to complement
national efforts.
In the past, electoral fraud in the Gambia used to be mainly in the form of
registering under-age Gambians, because as you rightly said birth
registration was not a well known practice in most of our communities.
During the economic crisis of the late 1970s and early 1980s, we started to
witness a new type of fraud in which you give money to your opponent's
supporters in exchange for them not voting at all. In moments of economic
hardship, this was a sure way of swinging the vote against candidates with
little or no access to resources, and these were mainly opposition
candidates. The fraud of giving non-Gambians the vote is not a new electoral
malpractice in the Gambia. Infact one can safely say that it started with
the first national elections in the country in the early 1960s. Then it was
basically engineered by local landlords and politicians to swell the ranks
of their supporters in elections. The numbers involved were not large and
infact if some of the people involved had any inkling of their immigration
rights in the Gambia, they could have got the vote without making themselves
beholden onto any landlord or politician. Anyway, all those who had
strangers got them registered without engendering any noticeable animosities
in the communities.
But the post 1994 coup elections have completely changed that harmonious(
though fraudulent) intergration of aliens in the electoral register. Infact
when registration started  before the referandum for the 1997 constitution,
people were told not to allow non-Gambians to get the vote.This must have
been a ploy because soon most of  those denied the vote got it anyway. It is
worth noting that because of the instability in the sub-region during this
period, the configuration of the Gambian population had undergone
significant changes. The new strangers did not integrate in our communities
like the old ones. Thus their getting the vote did not go down well with the
people as their forerunners', and this has produced synophobia in some
quarters. This was the situation before the 2001 elections. But that
election added a new dimension in the electoral mal-practice of giving the
vote to non-Gambians. This time it involved giving the vote to non-Gambians
resident outside the Gambia, particularly in Senegal. Thus between 1996 and
2001, a large number of non-Gambians resident in the Gambia and Senegal have
been fraudulently given the vote. The voters card which qualifys one to vote
in the Gambia expires eight years after the date of issuance.
Sister Jabou and folks this is the scenario. The electoral process is
already rigged!
As for the factional interests you made mention of, if you are referring to
the individual political organisations, I am afraid most of that will be
around as long as we continue to have a multiparty political culture. That
has a lot to do with the nature of multipartism. Interest groups always
manifest themselves in open societies, and it is the cumulation of their
interests that constitute the overall national interest. What is worth
mentioning here is the need for us to avoid splinter groups divisively
parochial in nature. It would be detrimental to our national well being if
those issues that are national in nature, are dealt with within the ambits
of fragmented nationalisms such as ethnicity, locality, or religion. And
unfortunately, both religion and ethnicity are prominent undercurrents of
the Jammeh regime's politics.
  Finally, I wish to reafirm my conviction that a militant opposition is
imperative to bringing down the A(F)PRC regime.And because the electoral
process is already rigged, it is a fallacy for anyone to think that we have
enough time. Perhaps we have started too late in view of the magnitude of
the task at hand. If we are to register the desired success, we must double
up our efforts. Key to this is the setting-up of a coalition machinery to
effectively coordinate the activities of the various political parties. It
should also be noted that the recent tinkering of the constitution which
eliminated the potentials for a second round ballot, has made it extremely
desirable for the coalition to come up with a single opposition candidate to
take on incumbent Yaya Jammeh. All these make an early start imperative if
we are to realise our immediate and long term goals.
Omar Joof.

>From: Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Why the silence/Sanusi/Omar
>Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:05:56 EDT
>
>Omar,
>
>Thanks for your response.
>It was evident from the last elections that the IEC is comprised of people
>who bend the rules in favour of the AFPRC regime, and that election rigging
>is
>how the regime won the last elections and that, along with brutality and
>instilling fear in the hearts and minds of Gambians is  how they intend to
>stay in
>power.
>There is no doubt that all of us agree that the IEC needs to be overhauled
>to ensure a free and fair election, but I think where we may differ is the
>mode
>to be employed to accomplish this.
>The AFPRC regime is a rogue regime no doubt, and their record is the
>evidence
>of this. They have failed miserably in their attempt to rule and infact,
>they
>were never competent simply because it is evident they have no idea what
>they
>are doing. They ensure their stay in power by bending and breaking the
>rules.
>
>Imagine if you will, that Edward Singateh ( Minister of Trade is it? These
>positions change so often that one would think they are playing musical
>chairs)
>demanding that Gambian small  business people reduce the prices they sell
>commodities and other goods as a strategy for reversing the economic horror
>that
>these people's incompetence has caused. Another brilliant idea I believe
>was to
>round up money changers and steal their money and such monies of course
>were
>going to "charity". One need not ask which charity that was.
>
>The important point here is that this regime does not play by the rules
>because if they did, we would not have problems would we?
>The first time that people like Dr Abdoulaye Saine, Dr. Katim Touray  and
>others advocated that a council be set up to negotiate with this regime, I
>stated
>that this regime would never negotiate with anyone simply because they want
>to stay for as long as possible and that theirs was a mission to ensure
>just
>that. I know that people got upset with  me then also because again,  they
>took
>my remarks as an attempt to undermine them but the evidence has been
>unfolding
>ever since.
>
>These people do not play by the rules, and thereore, the issue is not that
>we
>need to reform the IEC, but how  we accomplish that under a regime that
>will
> [...]

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa