GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 11:58:02 EDT
Judging by recent news accounts, illegal drug trafficking is no longer a
creeping societal menace. Instead, the nation has in it's hands a full blown
crisis. If one attributes much of the increased prosecutions or interdictions
on vigilant law enforcement particularly on the part of the drug squad, you
are left to wonder whether the sheer size or frequency of cases don't point
to a marked increase in the overall volume of drug dealing. From the seaport
to the airport not to mention at the numerous porous borders, police are said
to be seizing large volumes of drugs that seem to be headed to third
countries primarily in Europe. Over the years dealers have evolved a rather
sophisticated method of operation that relies on moving the drugs from
producer countries, taking them to transshipment countries and finally to
consumer nations. Typically the dealers look to small and strategically
located countries like those in the Caribbean for dealers interested in the
US market and West Africa for dealers angling for Western Europe. Countries
where there is a penchant for corruption and greed become particularly
susceptible as the dealers are more than willing to aggressively buy access
and influence. Even individuals who up until the drug proliferation have been
engaged in legitimate business may not be immune to the ever present desire
to make quick money relatively easily either through participation in
laundering transactions or serving as conduits during transshipment. Our
country fits this rather ominous bill and I fear the emerging trends point to
a nation at the cusp of being gradually overwhelmed by crime syndicates who
want to use Gambia as a major drug transshipment point by taking advantage of
the nation's weak capacity for law enforcement and overall border insecurity
and pervasive corruption. We don't frown on much less investigate folks who
display sudden wealth. Instead they can expect much adulation and respect
thus fueling the never ending myth that there is indeed easy and fast money
to made out there. Once we manage to get stuck with the dubious distinction
of being a major drug transshipment point, we will find out that it is almost
impossible to shake off such a label. Just ask the good people of Nigeria who
must endure humiliating treatment as they travel the world. Bad reputations
on nations are often like albatrosses; they persistently hang on the necks of
citizens. As a result a legitimate businessman who just wants to come to New
York or Madrid to buy merchandise for his store in Albert Market would find
himself subject to endless scrutiny for simple business visa application that
should be routine and automatic.
     Consequently, list members I would suggest the government do two things
as a matter of urgency. First enact into law severe penalties that includes
mandatory sentences for those found guilty of possession, distribution and
laundering drug proceeds. The current laws are inadequate to serve as a
deterrent. Secondly the scope, training  and resources of the drug squad has
to be vastly increased if the problem can even begin to be addressed. One way
to make the unit more effective is to reconstitute it to incorporate a marine
detachment that would  be assigned  through a defense department laison , a
similar detachment from customs specifically trained to look for drugs and a
phalanx of trained detectives  all under the overall command of the director
of the drug squad. This would enable the unit to have better surveillance
especially at the airport and at the sea where the transshipments must occur.
The idea is to choke off the dealers ability to ship the drugs out of the
Gambia to the consuming markets assuming he has an easier time getting it in
through the porous border. While I do not underestimate the threat drugs pose
to our own people considering all the attendant problems of crime and other
ills drug consumption precipitates, the real incentive for these hideous
dealers is the richer overseas markets. We must slay this monster before the
nation is overwhelmed. The resources for a revamped drug squad should come
from existing government allocations. I would get it from two sources; from
the D60 million allocated to the Presidency over D3million of which is slated
to be paid to Yahya Jammeh as perdiem and personal allowances for the
nonsensical trips he makes the world over.  The rest would be the entire
allocation for the N.I.A for fiscal 2000. They ought to be disbanded ,  and
be asked  to hand in their radios and expensive cell phones and summarily
dismissed  because they are up to no good other than hauling reporters and
other innocent civilians to their dingy offices to visit evil on them.
If we don't do anything soon, we will find ourselves run by drug kingpins.

Karamba