GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:36:14 -0500
Ebrima,

Like you, I did not read, even between the lines of Alpha's posting, that
Darboe was to one talked/written about.  How Saul made the leap from what
was written to his conclusion astounded me, to say the least.  However, the
issue he raised of tribalism being alive and well in the Gambia and in our
communities outside of the Gambia is so true and alarming.  Tribalism is
ugly, negative, and can take us back a thousand years - all that's bad for
our development.  But, we can't be ostriches in this instance.  It's ugly
head has been reared (I have not been spared and I have heard some
derogatory remarks).  We need to acknowledge the presence of this cancer and
chart a way of curing our selves/communities of it.  If we do not stomp on
it through dialog or education, I'm afraid of what may result.  We have some
dangerous, narrow-minded folks amongst us who milk this sentiment for what
it's worth to them and as Alpha said, run and hide, simpering for mercy
after having put their people through unforgettable misery.

Saul raised an important issue which has to be dealt with.  Comments I've
overheard about this issue only lend to more friction between those who
think of themselves as a "pure" this or that, which is a lot of hogwash.

Soffie