GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
salomon jawara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 03:30:17 +0100
Dear Gambia L,

After my last weeks´  posting, i realised that most of the response i got was
misapprehended. My  argument was not the downright condemnation
of Western Democracy.  The one person who understood my argument,
agreeably was Dr. Saine, as he stated:" I agree with most of your
arguments regarding democracy and the need to domesticate it while
at the same time providing individuals/ groups with basic economic
rights. I have made similar arguments myself."

Democracy in Africa should serve as a basis for the inclusion of certain
clauses in the African charter for human and peoples´ rights, in the same
respect for African rather that values.
The word Democracy as was applied in its´ Greek origin excluded the
particition of women and slaves in ancient Greece. So, the process have
gone through many stages.  As one expert said to me; " It took us hundreds
of years in order to achieve the type of democracy we have today.  Why
can´t we give Africa a chance to develop its´ own ?"

Dr. Saine pointed out Shivji, who sees "multipartyism as supportive of a
capitalist class and capitalism.  Thus, the rights under liberal capitalism
reinforce a class based system of rule, which is intended to reproduce
capitalist accumulation and class deffrentiation."  A perfect example
of what America is today, and where the post for presidency is determined
 by how much money you have.

There was a documentary on Swedish Tv this past Sunday regarding the
horrible and barbarous war in Sierra Leone, where the Sierra Leonian
journalist disconsolately concluded the program saying:" You(the  West)
gave us democracy, and when the time came to defend it,  you turned your
back."  A perfect example of what took place in Ruwanda etc..

 The  importation and implementation of Western democracy  in Africa,
whose the mojority of people are illiterates and easy to manipulate is not
the only legitimate course for Africa to put part of the blame on the West.
In the past decades, shocks emenating from international trade and
financial markets, combined with the weaknesses of domestic policies,
made African countries prisoners rather than masters of their own destinies.

Eighty percent of the worlds resources is being consumed by twenty percent
of the worlds´ population.  Where are all the diamonds that created the
killing fields in Africa going ?  The West with the help their resources can bring stability
in Africa, fight desease and open their market for African export goods.
What were the developments during the last WTO meeting in Seattle?

It is  without a doubt that the abuse of power and government mismagement
has enormous impact on the woes in Africa.But it is difficult, rather impossible to
impose democracy in an environment where people are not well informed,
and the existence of extreme poverty, which in many cases is followed by calamity.

 I believe that regional stability and cooperation are the key ingredience in the development
strategies for Africas´ future. Many African countries, like the Gambia, are
small and cannot provide the economies necessary to sustain large investment
volumes required for rapid and sustained industrial development. A regional
cooperation is also very significant for the removal of hindrances of trade and
free movement of people.

Thanks for sharing !

Saul S.Jawara,
Sweden.