GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:41:56 +0000
What is wrong with Africans?  Is this an inferiority complex or what?  What
can this cat bring to the table other than he is a Brit.?  We can get a
homeboy at a 10th of his offer and still produce better results than him.
We do this at all avenues of life.  We educate folks only to leave them on
the curb and reach for the outside.  Look at our Judges; road construction;
electric supply, and the list goes on. I know he my be one of many foreign
candidates interviewing, but have'nt we learned from our past failures -
that we have to seriously build our own like others did.  Why is it that El
hajj Joof et al belief more in Bruno Metsu than other equally qualified or
better home grown Senegalese coaches?  I bet you they would have given
Bokande a run for his head if he were to coach them.  Also, remember Coach
Obermann, the no name, no national team experience coach that helped us
loose the Zone two tournament in 1984.  The cat was a goalie and had a stint
with a third division team.  If my teammates accorded a Gambian coach 1/10th
  of the respect and dedication they accorded to Obermann, we would have
done wonders over the years.  However, the best time for us to act up
against our coaches is when we see someone like us.  Most know that I had no
love lost with Obermann and it stemmed from the fact that we had folks that
were way better than him and who could have given us victory.  His selection
was influenced by the Mafia, thus their boys flooded the field, and they did
not want anyone to talk about it.  As a matter of fact, through out that
whole camp Obermann and I spoke not more than twice.  Now, if you had a
player/coach, Sahou Sarr lead a team to only loose to Senegal by a lone
goal, why on earth would I even ask a third division goalie coach from
Germany to head my national team?  The problem of soccer in the Gambia is
not the players, but the facilities.  The US team is a proven testimony to
that.  It is their facilities and not their talent that take them far in the
world arena.  Just like Cameron has better facilities and organization than
most other African countries.  When Senegal was paying their players, our
guys were playing for gym shoes from Dingareh.  So, go figure.  It seems as
we have not learned a lesson, have we?  We are going to pick some looser
from some corner of the globe, with next to nothing experience in their own
countries to head the team or better yet be on vacation.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

Simply a Fortune!

The Independent (Banjul)

August 14, 2003
Posted to the web August 14, 2003

Banjul

Peter Bredman, a British national, who visited The Gambia earlier this week
to meet the country's football authorities for possible appointment as head
coach of the Scorpions, has put his wage demands at an all time high,
looking at it from Gambian standards.

According to reports, Bredman demanded £50,000 per annum as wages, a
four-wheel car (4 x 4), a house and a reputable school for his daughter.

Bredman, who met SOS Faal and other top officials of the Department of State
for Youths and Sports, left Banjul on Monday evening to England but had
submitted his papers for a thorough perusal to SoS Faal, according to
reports.

Bredman is not a Greek figure Gambia's football scene. In the early 90's, he
coached two top-flight teams namely Wallidan FC and Real de Banjul.

The Englishman, brimming with visible confidence, told radio programme
Sports file on Monday before Banjul that he had a very good session with SOS
Faal and hoped that something "positive" will come out of it.

Coaching the Scorpions, he pointed out, would be a gateway for Gambian
footballers to hit the international scene. "I have already started
discussions with some marketing agencies and managers who are eager to
expose Gambian players in the United Kingdom," Bredman revealed.

He admitted that he hasn't coached a senior national team before but he was
privileged to coach the England U-16 team and has worked as a coach in
Holland and USA.

He promised that, if appointed, he would restructure Gambian football
especially with the coming of a football academy.