GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:54:32 -0600
Hello, all, am posting the message relating to the arrest of the opposition
members in The Gambia on my blog.  I'm not sure what good that would do, but
anyway...

     Something definitely has to be done about this!  First you have Jammeh
take a day like Eid-ul-fitr / Koreteh, and instead of making an inspiring /
uplifting speech, he uses that time to threaten the opposition, among other
things!  What a way to completely nullify one's fast and good deeds of the
previous month of Ramadan!

     When I first read of this, it made me so angry!  I was completely
speechless, I mean, I couldn't think of anything to say or do.

     I don't have any grand or wonderful ideas to give to the opposition as
to how to handle this.  And I wish I had something that I could offer.

     Even if I don't know what to tell the opposition to do, I know what I,
Ginny, insignificant as I am, would like to do.  I'd like to grab this
so-called man named Jammeh by the shoulders and give him a good shake and
ask him what is wrong with him!?  Maybe one of these tornadoes which just
came through here today and destroyed people's houses could be transported
to Kanilai, such up Jammeh, shake him up a bit, and maybe that would knock
some sense into him.

     OK, silly and childish, I know.  But what can I say!?  I'm angry OK?
Just completely and utterly angry!  And the opposition members currently
being held are in my thoughts and prayers, because one never knows, or at
least, one can only guess, at what Jammeh's plans for them are!

     Something really has to give!  As a non-Gambian, I don't want to
pretend to speak for Gambians, but something has to be done.  There can't be
any more pontificating or extending of olive branches by the opposition, no,
those days are over!

     Something strong and unequivocal has to be done!  What that "something"
is, I don't know!

     I am feeling a mixture of anger, fear, sadness, and apprehension.

     I can only pray and make dua that whatever tactics employed by the
Jammeh government do not harm the momentum already gained by the opposition
coalition.

     What I'd also like to see are the Muslim religious leaders standing up
and unequivocally condemning this man, especially since he used the occasion
of Eid-ul-fitr to spew such vile and threats, and thereby totally demean the
whole holiday!

     OK, I've had a long day, and I'm really tired, so I'm going to stop
writing for now.  Besides, what do I know anyway?  The only thing I can
think to do is to encourage anyone who can to go to www.sunugambia.com and
donate, give whatever you can, $5, $10, whatever.  Or find other like-minded
organizations which have been set up to restore democracy / the rule of law
in The Gambia.  That's the only thing I can think to do, to try to support
these organizations as best you can, whether it's STGDP, MRDGUK, or other
organizations that I'm not naming, simply because my mind has turned to mush
and I can't recall all the names.  And please know that this is not intended
as a slight toward anyone.  All of us who want to see an end to the tyranny
that is Jammeh are all working toward the same goal, so support who you
want, just support someone!  The time for sitting and doing nothing is over!
And on that note, my bed awaits!

Visit my blog at:

http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい