GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:24:54 +0000
Folks, thanks to all for your moral support in the face of this conspiracy
to assassinate my character.  Since these baseless fabrications were
concocted, not a single proof has been tendered and not one single person
has joined this lot.  They are left standing in shame and dejection.  The
readers know that I can go toe to toe with these five individuals and will
not loose a beat.  However, I am satisfied that the community saw through
all five and did let them know about their despicable behavior.  If they are
decent, they will put their pride aside and come and do the right thing and
say that their's was a slip of the tongue or mind.  But you and I know that
will not happen.  Instead they continue to pile on more lies just to
convince the readers to buy their vindictiveness.  Now, let's retrace the
life of this exchange and folks can see how these folks slid from madness to
vindictiveness.

Couple of months ago, Elhajj made a remark about all Jolas and a Cassamance
connection.  Strangely enough, this was Ebou Jallow's rallying points on
"Voice Out" several years ago.  I wonder where Elhajj got it from!  I asked
him a few questions and he realized his mistake (or did he?) and came back
and apologized to the L readership.  Then Binneh came with his "Rwanda"
thing which insinuated Jola tribalism.  I responded by stating that it not
fair to label all Jolas as tribalist.  Just because Yaya is a Jola and is
using tribalism does not equate to, therefore, all Jolas are tribalist with
him.  I further stated that what Gambia has is a Yaya problem and a
sycophancy problem.  All these years we all agreed with Kebba Dampha that
sycophancy is the biggest problem in the Gambia and the word "sycophancy" is
the word most used to describe the behavior of those around Yaya, and it
runs through the entire national spectrum.  Now, since we have been on-line
up to this point, none of these conspirators never called me a snitch,
informant, NIA, collaborator, etc.  We were in agreement that Yaya is a
tribalist and uses tribe to push his agenda.  Where we differed was whether
Jolas are tribalist.

Jabou then showed up with her litany of things why Jammeh is a tribalist.  I
agreed with her that Jammeh is as described, but disagreed that all Jolas
are tribalist.  She also at this point never said anything about a snitch,
informant, NIA, etc.

Then Elhajj, jumped the tracks to say that we have a Jola problem in the
Gambia yada, yada, yada...  Musa Jeng asked him if he meant what he said to
come out the way it did?  He affirmed his conviction.  However, even though
Musa disagreed with his claim, he never labeled him a tribalist or anything,
but turns right back to zero in on me.

Then Jasseh Conteh came from no where (was never part of the discussions
prior) and asked a series of questions, such as:

"We should conclude that this tribal sentiment has to stop.  May be you
should be the first person to condemn tribalism.  By the way, why did you
visit Tejan Ceesay at the Gambian Embassy in DC.  Should this not be a
concern to Gambians?  Can we trust you?  Are you sleeping with the enemy?"

At this stage, these are just rhetorical questions directed to me, even
though Soffie and Musa Jeng also disagreed with them.  However, they were
not interest in Musa and Soffie because they do not fit the profile they
were looking for to associate with Jola Tribalism.

Jabou then surfaced with her fabrication to say that she was aware of my
snitching form a year ago and how she had credible information that I have
met Tijan Ceesay not once, but on several occasions .......Ebou joined them
at this stage to really get the party going and going it did.  The
festivities turned into a dance of the outlandish and they began to throw
anything imaginary.  Jasseh Conteh, the candidate did not want to be
outshined by Jabou and hurled the last hurray with his famous phrase "Joe
Sambou Is A Double Agent" and an excerpt reads,

"Over the years I have defended the rights of Gambian people.  I met Joe
Sambou and I thought of him as a decent Gambian.  I am now willing to risk
my reputation and reveal to you that Joe Sambou is a double agent.  I affirm
today that sources within the government have told me so.  I am not
making this up.  Joe is able to travel to every Gambian meeting on behalf of
the opposition because he is being paid by the APRC government.  This is why
Joe likes to be in the midst of everything.  He knows when meetings are to
take place.  All he needs is to call his collaborators in the Gambia.  His
travel  and lodging costs are assumed by the APRC government.  I am not
making this up."

Now, by this time they have begun to break bottles and really going wild,
while the Gambian community stare in disbelief.  So, had I agreed that we
have a "Jola Problem" in the Gambia, I'd be the most loved by these three
persons and would not be framed as meeting Tijan Ceesay secretly, to a
snitch, informant, NIA, paid this and that, to the most glamorous title,
Agent.  So, folks, this is the shameless journey these individuals were
embarked upon.  Their's are nothing but malicious and vindictive
fabrications.  Now that they have brought themselves this disgrace, their
fellow Gambians are waiting for them to tender any proof to substantiate
their lies.  They know the rules of evidence better than all of us and
cannot ask me for any proof.  If they do not bring any proof to substantiate
their fabrications, they shall forever remain shamed and they shall be
remembered for their despicable deed.  However, where is Binneh since they
began their fabrications?  You noticed his absence during their rampage.

I will continue to fight the criminals in Yaya and the APRC and I am not
bothered by these conspirators.  If these three individuals believe that
their only contribution to the struggle is to talk, let them be my guest.
However, I am willing to go any place the struggle takes me, even to only
meet 12 people when Gambians converge in the same city in the 100s.  I will
also continue to contribute to any cause that involves Gambia.  So, these
conspirators better take note.  Back in 1982 when Tombong was accused of
distributing the Voice of The Future publications at Saint Augustine's, I
was the one that put them there and those who were aware are right here.
Everyone here knows that I had a lot at stake doing that.  Where were thees
five individuals in 1982?  "Voice" was not a Jola thing but was written by
Gambians, for Gambians, and some of the finest minds I might add, was it
not?  So, I am not new to fighting the corrupt systems in The Gambia and I
am not going to stop until Gambians are free from these or any other
criminals.  Ask any of the other soccer team owners in Gambia whether they
were drunk to approach me to switch teams?  I was independent then, the
reason why I was suspended indefinitely from Gambian soccer and I still am.
Never bought or sold.  As for Conteh's silly accusation about being paid,
that is laughable.  I have an advanced degree and am paid well, so if you
are waiting for me in the handout line, then you will wait your life and
counting.  Just because you'll are tight fisted with your money is not my
problem.  Take Jabou for instance, what has she contributed in since she has
been on-line, financially?  I'm all ears folks and we all see the lists?
So, is it a surprise that these three individuals do not understand why
someone like me will be willing to spend my money traveling all over to meet
Gambians to build something that we can all be proud of?  I have also
collected funds for different campaigns and in my community in Chicago, have
you heard anyone complain about a cent missing?  It's all in the dedication
forks.  Ask not what others are doing, but rather what are you doing?  That
is the question.

The part that really pained me in all this, is the raw vindictiveness.
These people knowingly and willfully were bent on destroying an innocent
person.  If Jasseh Conteh could be this callous, who in their right mind
would even listen to him announce his name, much less run for any office?
As for the other two, they know what Gambians think of them.  For those that
are only on the L, not one single person that heard their lies on the Post
believed them and Gambians came out to tell them that they are lying, too
many for me to forward to the L.  They are all mute and in shame.  All that
posturing about being holier than thou, was just that, posturing.  We heard
the preaching, the slogans, etc., but they are the definition of wickedness
in this their attempt.  This experience though bitter, has strengthened my
belief that we have truth speaking and truth seeking Gambians.  The casualty
in all this is the on-line community.  While Gambia is burning these people
have nothing better to do than to poison them further.  They have failed
miserably.  It is a good day today and I am glad to be in your company to
drive out the criminals out our country.  Sheame with vindictiveness and
fabrications.  I am done with this much to do about nothing.

To those that could make it to New York, I am with you'll in spirit.  The
fight to get rid of Jammeh continues.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou