GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulie Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:54:18 -0500
Folks,

As I was reading through today's issue of the daily observer, I ran across
an article that was very disturbing to me. The daily observer directly
curled Max Njie's story on the issue of the Gambians that were arrested in
Kentucky and pasted it in their front page. This is disturbing for several
reasons.

First and foremost, the observer did not demonstrate any level of
professionalism by failing to inform their readers of the true source of
the story. To have fine prints that read "posted on the web" is misleading
and serves only the sole purpose of hiding behind their hideous agenda. To
take a story that was written by somebody, surely without their consent,
and paste it as a front cover story on a leading newspaper like the
observer is itself unethi
cal.

The ignorant nature by which their so-called journalist render their
services is demonstrated by some of the misinformation that was included in
the story. To my knowledge those Gambians arrested were residents of
Lexington and not Madison as reported by the observer. Again they failed
their readers by not conducting any behind the scenes research to boost
their story but instead relied solely on one that was posted on the web.

We've known long time ago that the observer is nothing but a state
propaganda machine aimed at shifting away the real debate of the terrible
state of the country from the gambian masses. If anything, there is much to
report on local issues than haunting a story that is in it's incubating
stage. But be well assured, you'll fail in your quest and you'll be sorry
that you streamlined yourself with this destructive and myopic government.
Time and only time will tell.

-- Abdou
lie Jallow