GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:02:08 +0100
Gassama

First and foremost, it was 23 years ago, sorry for the
blunder.

Secondly, I am sure you will agree with with me that
during those days the Secondary Technical Schools had
a higher intake of students than the High School. Take
for instance the following Secondary Technical
Schools; Crab Island, Latrikunda Secondary, Brikama,
Bansang, Basse had the largest intake of students.  As
a result, there were very few drop outs. In fact, I
would be surprise to hear that somebody had to drop
out from education after failing his Common Entrance
Examination.

Thirdly, I have doubts as to whether providing free
education for girls is the right direction. Believe it
or not, it is discriminatory and contrary to Section
30 of the 1997 Constitution.

Section 30 of the 1997 Constitution states that
All persons shall have the right to equal educational
opportunties and facilities and with a view to
achieving the full realisation of that right-
(a) basic education shall be free, compulsory and
available to all.
(b) secondary education, including technical and
vocational education shall be made generally available
and accessible to all by every appropriate means and
in particular by the progressive introduction of free
education
(c) higher education shall be made equally accessible
to all, on the basis of capacity by every appropriate
means and in particular, by progressive introduction
of free education.

Now Gassama having gone through our constitution, it
appears that APRC's decision to provide free education
to girls is discriminatory and also unconstitutional.

I only hope you will come up with a defence of
Positive Discrimination since the Gambia has no law
tolerating positive discrimination.

Until then I await your response.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

- Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
Sanusi,

> I am sure you will agree with me that of the 6,900
> or so students who could
> not make it to high school during your school days
> over 70% of these either
> repeated or dropped out altogether. This is because
> there were only about
> ten or so Junior Secondary schools. As for the 1,011
> students who did not
> get the cut-off mark this year, there are sufficient
> skills and vocational
> training centres to absorb them and more are being
> built and equiped.
>
> As for free education for girls, I forgot to mention
> that it is already free
> for girls in the provinces, atleast at the primary
> level. There is also a
> special fund for deserving girls at a higher level.
> As for the
> discrimanatory nature of the policy, lets just say
> that it is a way of
> encouraging the education of the girl-child. It is
> also a way of balancing
> out the discrimination of women by our inheritance
> tradition. Moreover, the
> policy is there to benifit anyone. People have just
> to try and get girls
> (Just a joke).
>
> Have a very good day, Gassa.
>
> >From: Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Re: It is not all that gloomy.
> >Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:40:55 +0100
> >
> >Mr Gassama
> >
> >Some 25 years ago, I sat to the Common Entrance
> >Examination. I could remember Mr Charles Fowlis of
> >blessed memory telling us that out of 7,600
> >Candidates, only 700 high school places were
> >available. In other words 6,900 candidates will
> either
> >have to enrol at the Junior Secondary School or
> retake
> >the Examination. Given that the APRC Government has
> >scrapped all the junior secondary technical
> schools,
> >what plans has it got for the 1011 candidates that
> >failed the Examination. Moreover, I am a bit
> puzzled
> >with Yankuba Touray's pronouncement on free
> education
> >for girls. Is this not a new form of
> discrimination?
> >
> >Gassama I hope you will shed more light on the
> issues
> >which I have raised.
> >
> >Have a pleasant afternoon.
> >
> >Sanusi.
> >

> >--- Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
> >FROM THE GAMBIA DAILY - Monday 13 August 2001.
> > >
> > > The results of the 2000 - 2001 Primary School
> > > Leaving Certificate
> > > Examinations (PSLCE) are out and 11,426 out of
> > > 12,437 candidates obtained
> > > the cut-off mark.
> > >
> > > The Department of State for education released
> the
> > > information to the Gambia
> > > Daily yesterday. The education authorities
> further
> > > anounced that "due to the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===