GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:43:51 PDT
Hi Everyone,

The following story appeared in today's issue of The Sun newspaper in the
UK. Read on:

        I'LL MECCA MOSQUE IN POLICE CARAVAN

A DESPERATE Muslim tourist was late for prayers so he used a police caravan
as a makeshift mosque.

The visitor realised he would miss his 6pm worship after asking PC Calum
Macrae for directions to the nearest mosque.

So the quick-thinking constable offered the use of the mobile office at the
Mound in Edinburgh.

The tourist from England - who did not leave his name - then put down his
special prayer mat in the caravan after furniture was cleared.

He carried out his 20-minute evening prayer session at the information
centre as hundreds of tourists wandered past.

Yesterday Muslim leaders praised the Police for helping out.

Mohammed Yasim, of the Mosque and Islamic Centre in the capital, said: "We
are grateful to the police for helping a Muslim perform his prayers in the
caravan.

"The prayer is a very inportant part of our religion and has to be performed
on time.

"The actions of the police have been a great service to the whole Muslim
community."

Lothian and Borders Police spokesman Sgt Lesley Clark said last night : "It
was an unusual request but we try and find solutions to all problems we are
confronted with.

"We are glad on this occasion we were able to help the gentleman who wished
to meet his religious obligations."

                      By Cameron Brooks