GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:44:06 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:24:36 +0300
From: Abdul-Rahim Dewo <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [african2000] Re: Greetings from the Pearl of Africa

Hi brother Alfred,

Thank you for addressing the issue about news from Africa
usually being just about suffering and disaster. However,
at LifeInAfrica.com, we believe we can change this grimness,
but only with your help. Africa and its diaspora are on
the verge of a positive trend towards emancipation and
your idea of " The best way to get out of our world to
the world of our dream is to show the outside world the
great potentials we have."

I agree with you whole heartedly because we have got to
potray a genuine sense of pride for who we are, what we
do and what we can offer. The potentials we have are
countless, but we could begin with rebuilding our "Global
African Family" through initating ties of kinship amongst
mainland Africans and those in the Diaspora. I think this
will extend the element of African identity to our huge
African community in the diaspora.

"Like you rightly pointed out in your article, a major goal
of africa2000 should be to bring to light the positive sides
of Africa." We must be organised as a People with a common
destiny. I call upon Africans abroad, Africans of descent
and friends-of-Africa to realise that since "The whole world
(especially the western world) is highly capitalistic, no
body wants to associate his/herself with a dying man." Our
destiny is now in our own hands. The centuries of deprivation
can not make us give up now. The mineral and human resources
are enormous, but the TRICK is to evenly distribute them to
suit the needs of every African, be it on the main land or
in the Diaspora.

'For those of you who don't know, about 70% of the goods sold
in Europe today are manufactured in Asia.' So why don't we
rebuild and sustain our own African domestic market, which
must be well over 700 million people. From time memorial, our
ancient parents lived in harmony with their environment, but
the present day scenario is shocking and absurd.

What are we to do? We could adopt a Afro-Eco friendly (A-EF)
system that will avoid 'engineering our way back to distraction.'
In Africa we must begin by campaigning agaisnt "dumped" goods
and services which are inconsumable by the 'developed' world.
Our comsumption behaviour must be spontaneous with issues of
equality and optimisation. Much us our wealth is Enormous, but
also depletable. I will keep you abreast with the African Dream.
You can visit our African Dream Gallery at:
http//www.LifeInAfrica.com/dreams/index.htm Enjoy the dreams!

Abdul
Bringing you back home to your rich
culture and heritage