GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:34:19 +0100
 Folks join me to extend our deepest condolences to the brown family in
Atlanta.JB will be remembered through out the whole world
and may the Almighty bless his soul and grant him heaven,Amen.

Btw merry christmas and a prosperous new year in advance to all our
subscribers.

Niamorkono.

   Soul star James Brown dies at 73
    [image: James Brown in 2006]
Brown was "a gifted genius when it came to music", his agent said

 *James Brown in action* <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm>
*Singer James Brown, known as the "Godfather of Soul", has died at the age
of 73, his agent has said.*

He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe
pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT), said Frank Copsidas.

The star was famous for hits including I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a
Brand New Bag and Living in America.

"He is such an influence, I learned so much from him," Mr Copsidas told the
BBC World Service.

    *He was dramatic to the end, dying on Christmas Day*
 Reverend Jesse Jackson

"On Friday he had his toy giveaway, which is his annual toy giveaway in
Augusta, Georgia.

"On Saturday, he went to his dentist up in Atlanta, and his dentist told him
something was wrong, and he sent him to a doctor immediately."

*String of hits*

Brown was born in 1933 in South Carolina.

He joined a gospel group as a young man after his release from jail for
trying to steal a car.

   [image: James Brown in 1972]
Brown's songs have been widely sampled by other artists

 *Obituary: James Brown*<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/386563.stm>
*In pictures: Soul
'Godfather'*<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6208689.stm>
*How Brown influenced
music*<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6208763.stm>
*Send us your memories*<http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=5078&edition=1>

He had his first hit on the US rhythm and blues chart, Please Please Please,
in 1956.

Brown had 94 hits on Billboard's mainstream Hot 100 in the US, according to
his official website, and by the end of his career, he had a repertoire of
800 songs.

However, he achieved only one top 10 single in the UK - Living in America,
from the soundtrack of Rocky IV, which reached number five in 1986.

The star was credited with spreading the popularity of funk around the
world, influencing a new generation of black music which spawned rap and
hip-hop.

Brown, who had surgery for prostate cancer in 2004, appeared in London in
October as part of the BBC's Electric Proms line-up.

*Hall of Fame*

At the time, he described how he planned to carry on as a performer, saying:
"Everyone's got soul, whether it's talking, hip-hop, rap, gospel.

"I don't wanna change, because then I'd have to name myself Sam Smith or Ted
Wright or somebody. I'm going to be James Brown."

  [image: James Brown in 1992] Brown won the Award of Merit at the American
Music Awards in 1992
Last month Brown played at a ceremony at London's Alexandra Palace which saw
his induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame, 20 years after entering the US
equivalent.

"He was dramatic to the end, dying on Christmas Day," said US civil rights
leader Jesse Jackson, who has been a friend of Brown since 1955.

"He'll be all over the news all over the world today. He would have it no
other way," he told Associated Press.

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Andy Peebles said he was "a one-of-a-kind,
never-to-be-repeated star".

Connor McNicholas, editor of the NME music magazine, said Brown appealed to
successive generations.

"This was a guy who came from a very deprived background, and knew that the
route to success was young music buyers, so as every generation went through
he was very keen to make sure that he updated his sound and made sure that
he stayed relevant."

And Bob Harris of BBC Radio 2 described Brown as a "massive influence, not
just for black music but also for so many white music fans who were so
strongly motivated and influenced by the music he made".

   E-mail this to a friend
<http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/email/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6208615.stm>
Printable
version