GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:03:08 -0400
Comrades:

If we take the notion that all intellectuals who work for the Government
of The Gambia are opportunists, then we are assessing things
wrong.  How can we conclude with certainty that these intellectuals
support all policies advocated by the APRC regime?

Though Dr. Janneh had condemned the innocent murder of Gambia
school children, he now must live with his conscience.  Dr. Janneh's
decision to work within is a choice that he alone can live with.  I hope
he can make a difference in bringing needed changes.  May be he
can now convince Jammeh to explain how he financed the following
projects:

1.  A fortified mansion in Kaninlai.
2.  A zoo in Kaninlai.
3.  24-hour-and-seven-days-a-week-electricity in Kaninlai.
4.  The purchase of a plane.
5.  His responsibility in being the owner of YDE.
6.  Tampering with the constitution, relative to a simple majority for the
     presidential election.
7.  His intention of being president for ever.
8.  Tribal politics, i.e., giving favors to only one tribe.
9.  Frequent decrees that subject Gambians to undemocratic means.
10. Countless other undemocratic policies.

Most of us who are in diaspora are fortunate to do whatever we
want.  Unfortunately, most of the people in the Gambia
cannot afford to be jobless.  Who is going to feed their families?
Who is going to provide shelter for them?

I hope we come to the realization that most government employees
are career civil servants, and that they are duty bound to carry on
their respective responsibilities.  We should be careful in not
calling them names.

What frightens me is our arrogance and disrespect for each
other.  Why is it that some of us who are opposed to the APRC
government are bent on using profanities as adjectives in
disagreeing with people?  In a civilize society, words used in
medium of exchange should be assessed before they are uttered.

I hope we can now conclude with certainty that not every intellectual
who accepts a position to work with the APRC government is an
opportunists.  While we may disagree in principle, our responsible
is to make the Gambia a democratic institution.

I hope Dr. Jannehconcludes with certainty that his tenure will not
be forever.  His responsibility is to serve the people of the
Gambia and not the mansa of kaninlai.  I hope Dr. Janneh can live up to
that.  But in revisiting history, I will concluce with certainty that we will meet
Dr. Janneh at the other end when the inevitable happens.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh