GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saul Mbenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:28:12 EDT
Kabir, your posting came at the right time coinciding with the one I send to
Mr. Sidi sanneh. African leaders have to understand that the average African
is now sick and tired of being sick and tired with rhetorical and maladjusted
African leaders who takes its citizens as stupid and hence, us citizens,
should always be sidelined and disengaged in the management of our
sociopoliticoeconomic affairs, except that, every five years or so, these con
men/women will allow its citizenry to participate in such farce electoral
process and thereafter, cocooned in an observer status again, until the
following elections. This type of "DEMONCRACY" is what Africans should never
again be relegated to.  Africans should start conceiving our own
developmental structures, based on African realities and norms. Please do not
read me wrong, I'm in no way advocating for a total abandonment of Western
style politics or developmental patterns, but if we have to utilize such
philosophies, plagiarizing [carbon-copying] of foreign concepts/documents and
the African mentality of 'there exists a problem, therefore, refer to page #
237 on book so and so, tailoring it to an African reality setting, is our
only way out. Sometimes, I'm bent on believing that western style education,
is partially meant for the bludgeoning of the minds of intellects into
myth-making of absolute perfection. Therefore, Africans suffers from
master-servant syndrome, whereby junk policies are rammed down our throats
without challenge or criticism. We will fight and kill each other on minor or
foolish issues that requires debate and compromise, but would accept any crap
from our so call compatriots/expatriates. Sometimes I feel like suggesting
that Africans should return to its old age structure of COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF
ELDERS, overseeing our local and national policies. If perfected, this form
of everyday participatory process, inclusive of women and the youth, may
serve us better than the current corrupt system we're hung up on. Elections
all over the world are now for sale, as long as you have capital, undeserving
plastic-smiling face, eloquent intellect or a military thug. May Allah bless
and guide Africa from such calamities and nonentities.