GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mr. O. B. Silla" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:38:05 EST
"Ebou Colley",

I have just finished reading your article on Jammeh's power base and as
people before me put it succinctly, IF, your allegations against the
Government are accurate, which is open to debate anyway.  Then the matter and
issues relating to them needs to be investigated and the perpetrators brought
to book.

That apart, I have a problem with your personal attacks on some serving
members of the AFPRC government and in particular, I take exception in the
manner in which you attacked the person of Lamin Bajo directly and baselessly
as, "empty-headed and a coward" whatever that means.  I don't know what
yardstick you applied to arrive at that blurred conclusion but one thing is
irrefutable about Lamin.  And that is:   he is well trained at home, humble,
respectful, pious, courteous, honest, has sense of purpose and duty and above
all intelligent.  He may not have a university degree so to speak,
nonetheless, he is always ready to learn from others which trait is one of
the beauty of being human.  You alluded to him in your article as being a
coward, FAR FROM IT.  Just as his brother said earlier, he carried the
calling of his duties to the fullest and nothing less.  Yes, I would have
considered him a coward, if, he had as others did (eg ADC Kassama) either
stayed with the old Pa or strayed away on his own to a different comfort zone
instead of being bold enough to come back home to face whatever music there
may be to face.   Did he stay with Dad?  No, he did not.  Hence, history has
vindicated him from being a coward as you want us to believe.  If you have an
axe to grind with him, that is a different matter all together but, do not
obliterate/blot out facts to sully his untanished image atleast as far as I
know him.  Similarly, the same human decency should apply to you.  Anyway,
each to his own believe.  I mentioned all these qualities about Lamin
"Kabba", you may want to know why?  Because I have known him for as long as
the word long means.

Finally, I challenge everyone to be objective about what we say to/about
others.  For I believe that if you do not have something nice/good to say
to/about me then say it with humour.

In the spirit of peace,  God bless us all and The Gambia.

Good night.

OB Silla.