GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:38:33 -0500
Dr Saine,

I think you have done a great job in bringing this important issue to our
attention. However as one begins to put ideas on paper it would be important
to ask a few questions.

1. Who are the "We"?
2. What is the role of this team? Advisory or  negotiating?
3. What is at stake or what are the potential rewards for all the potential
participants?

I begin with asking "Who are the We" because it will determine how all
interested parties will respond. If the "we" is viewed with skepticism or
partisan then out goes the good work and intentions.
I believe that the team will go far if it is seen NON-PARTISAN. Of course
taking into consideration past references.

Secondly any suggestion (explicit or implicit) that team is demanding or
negotiating with the government could seriously affect its performance. This
team should take the high road as a Think Tank free of influence from either
sides of this debate. It must not judge but advice with reasoning. Any
demand made should be seen in all quarters as fare and square. Taking up an
advisory role may help a lot.

Thirdly, what's at stake for me or anybody? We mentioned the people of the
Gambia, the detainees how about those unfortunate enough to be in power? The
teams suggestions and ideas MUST benefit them too.  If it appears that is
not the case its a dead end road!

That brings us to the issue of where to begin. I think the team should equip
itself with sufficient ammunition by asking right questions to the right
people. Some effort should be made to get REAL public opinion. That opinion
should be free of bias. I think the infrastructure is there for some kind of
opinion survey to be conducted in and out of the Gambia on burning troubling
issues threatening the Gambian society.

Results from such as study could be the talking points for any future work.

Have a good day.

Malanding Jaiteh