GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:51:56 GMT
My Fellow Gambians:

In my last ten messages, I have endeavoured to expose the sort of person
Yahya Jammeh is. I have discussed his ineptitude as a leader, his
mismanagement of every facet of Gambian life, his corruption, his lies, his
reputation as a thief of the grandest order, his disregard for Gambian
decency and integrity. Indeed, there can be no doubt that under Jammeh, The
Gambia is on a collision course with disaster.

I have so far received no disagreement with my summing up of the situation
at home. What is clear is that the vast majority of God-fearing Gambians are
genuinely concerned about the dire state of the nation, and there is also
consensus that the only way forward lies in a "Jammeh/APRC-free" future.

I have put a lot of effort - these few days - into discussing my belief that
Jammeh should be shown the door by The Gambian people through the ballot
box: that the restoration of democracy and freedom in our country should be
as a result of a peaceful, constitutional process.

My fellow Gambians, it is now time to turn our thoughts to the future, and
therefore, in this next series of postings, I shall be outlining some of the
challenges that will face a new government in The Gambia after Jammeh is
unseated from the Presidency. My humble contributions will hopefully add to
the discussions about our common future, and will raise issues that need to
be aired in the broad light of day.

However, in no way do I claim to have all the answers, but it is vital that
people start to think constructively and critically about the future. The
problems besetting The Gambia are far bigger than Jammeh the man, the failed
leader. His departure from office will not spell an immediate return to well
being and prosperity for the nation, and the future is far from rosy or
assured.

In fact, there is a grave danger that whoever takes over from Jammeh may
make the same awful errors of judgement, and go down his path to ruin.
Surely, our country’s destruction would be continued if we voted in a
"Jammeh Mark 2". But given the raised political consciousness of The Gambian
people after six years of misrule, I am convinced however, that our next
leader will be mindful of this, and will strive to avoid the pitfalls of
power.

My fellow Gambians, it is crucial that from now on, we all spend time to
reflect on the post-Jammeh, post-APRC era, and the ways in which The Gambia
will move forward. Indeed, this now needs to be the focus of our thinking
and discussions. All of us need to be concerned about helping The Gambia to
become a better country, where decency, liberty, prosperity and freedom from
fear will be guaranteed for all.

Given the huge amount of damage which Jammeh has perpetrated in our country,
it is not going to be easy to repair it.  There will have to be a massive
amount of effort, and no one is in any doubt that it will be an easy task.
It is always far easier to take things apart, to dismantle them, than to put
them back together in the correct order to make a working model again. The
task ahead is tough, and the challenges are many.

In my next postings, I shall be looking in some detail at the challenges
that lie ahead of us all, and in particular ahead of the next leader of our
nation.  For now, in this Eleventh message to all Gambians, I shall
endeavour to give a brief overview of those areas which will require the
immediate attention of the future government and the Head of State.

Therefore, what follows is not meant to be an exhaustive list, nor a full
debate of what has to be done: it is my humble opinion of where our thinking
should now be taking us, and I shall welcome feedback and constructive
debate.

1  What to do with Jammeh himself

When he is ousted from power, it is probable that Jammeh will flee the
country and settle in Morocco, Libya or some other APRC-friendly country.
However, it may be that he will stay in The Gambia to face the music. He has
ensured that there are Indemnity Clauses written into the Constitution, and
he could well try to hide behind these and avoid the consequences of his
years of corrupt government.

We need to be certain that Jammeh answers to The Gambian courts and to The
Gambian people for his misdeeds, and the next government will have to set up
a Committee of Investigation, comprising qualified and impartial Gambians
who will undertake a thorough examination of his actions. Where there are
charges to answer before the Courts, then Jammeh and any of his henchman
should like any citizen, be required to answer them in public and without
fear or favour.

The rule of law will be mandatory: there will be no lynch mobs; no calls for
retribution outside the law, no vendettas. The disregard that Jammeh and his
people have shown for the rule of law, and the partiality of the Judiciary
which he has fostered, will have no part in the revived Gambia. Jammeh is
entitled to the justice that he himself has denied to so many, and we need
to ensure that he receives it in full.

The Indemnity clauses will need to be carefully scrutinised, and if
necessary amended in order that this man does not escape the rule of law.

From Day One, the new government will have to demonstrate its own integrity
and impartiality, and it will work within the law of the land.

2. Disempowerment of the repressive institutions created by Jammeh

During the last six years, Jammeh has set up a series of repressive
institutions which he has used to consolidate his power base, and which have
created fear and confusion across the nation. Chief of these is of course,
the National Intelligence Agency.

In the name of democracy, respect for human rights and human decency, the
NIA has to be first of all scrapped, and then there will need to be a
careful scrutiny of its role (and that of its chief henchmen) since 1994.

Again, I call for the setting up of an independent and impartial Committee
of Investigators, peopled by qualified Gambians, who will undertake a
thorough review of the work of the NIA. Those who are liable for prosecution
must be brought to book, and answer in the courts for their actions.  There
should be no escape for people who have time and again, broken the law of
our land, but we have to use the rule of law to seek redress from them.

3.  Disempowerment of the APRC

The influence of the APRC in both the public and private spheres will need
to be thoroughly examined, and curtailed where necessary.  In particular,
the July 22nd Movement needs investigation and disbarment.

The debate over whether the APRC should be banned as a political party will
need thorough airing.  There are pros and cons to this, and it is an area
where Gambians need to contribute their views.

Given the present government’s banning of certain opposition parties, we
shall need to be careful not to go down the same route.

It is certain however, that the influences, rights and privileges currently
enjoyed by the APRC will need to be curtailed. The Gambia is NOT going to
become a one party state any longer again if you know what I mean.

4. Restoration of an impartial and independent Judiciary

One of the first priorities facing a new leader will be to ensure that The
Gambia enjoys a legal system that is fair, transparent and effective. This
is essential to the protection of her citizens against the arbitrary use of
state authority and lawless acts of individuals as well as organisations.

The role of the Judiciary is paramount: its independence and impartiality
should never be jeopardised as it has been over the last six years under
Jammeh.

We need to ensure that the Judiciary is manned by dedicated, competent,
well-trained and fair-minded people who will administer the rule of law
without fear or favour. Our country’s judicial independence has to be
restored, and maintained: there has to be an end to political interference
and fear of reprisal.

5. Restoration of an independent Media

For six years, Jammeh has worked to gag the media and to ensure that it is
the mouthpiece of government. The draconian Decrees 70 and 71 which hinder
the flow of free information and independence of expression will need
immediate repeal.

The harassment of journalists and editors (in the press, on radio and on TV)
will have to cease immediately, in order to ensure that freedom of
expression is guaranteed.

The media services will need to be led by well-trained, competent and honest
people best fitted for the important jobs they will undertake.

Above all, we shall have to ensure that the national media (in particular
the GRTS) is no longer a mouthpiece of government, but belongs to the whole
nation and represents every span of opinion and view.

6. Review of the 1997 Constitution

This should be an area of concern for all of us:  we need to ensure that
proper amounts of time and levels of discussion are given to a thorough
review of the Constitution by the next government.  In particular, we should
be looking at those Indemnity clauses that protect our leaders from
prosecution, and at the clauses governing length of tenure of the president.

7. Restoration of Public Confidence in Government

There is an urgent need to set about restoring the confidence of ordinary
Gambians in every sphere of life, in accountable and democratic governance.
Despite Jammeh’s claims to operate in a climate of transparency and
accountability, this has patently NOT been the case over the last six years,
and The Gambian people have lost all confidence in and respect for its
leaders and the government. The restoration of public confidence in Central
Government will be a long drawn-out task.

I shall recommend the appointment of Ombudsmen, composed of individuals who
are neutral and independent.

The face of the Civil Service will need to be transformed so that it becomes
an entity which offers efficient, non-discriminatory and reasonable services
to its public.

These seven tasks are those which will require immediate action on the part
of our next leader and his/her government: they will set the scenario
against which proper governance can take place. In addition to these hefty
responsibilities, we shall also need to be undertaking thorough analysis and
review of every aspect of Gambian life and society.

1. The Economy

Obviously, this is the key issue: it comprises the backbone of our country
and it has to be taken seriously: it is what feeds the nation.  Despite the
lack of natural resources, there is a huge amount of potential in The Gambia
and with strategic vision and good development packages, we can tap into
this potential to the benefit of all our people.

Agricultural performance is paramount, and we are fortunate in having an
exceptionally well-qualified body of people who can take us forward in this
area: Gambian agriculturalists, agronomists, horticulturalists, soil
scientists (like our own Gambia L Dr Katim Touray) have worldwide
reputations and we need to draw on their knowledge and expertise.

Levels of investment in agriculture will need an overhaul, and we shall need
to continue the good work of the Taiwanese in increasing domestic rice
production. Our farmers will need the full support of government (and
increased investment in fertilisers, implements, machinery) in order to
ensure that our country becomes fully self-sufficient in food production
within the next few years.

Livestock production needs careful review, and we should be looking for ways
in which we can increase our use of the by-products on the domestic front.

The government will also need to take control over fishing:  there is a real
danger that our in-shore water stocks are depleting far too rapidly because
of large-scale over-fishing. The sea and river are areas we can exploit to
better effect, while at the same time, protecting their long-term efficacy
and future.

The Re-export trade needs revitalising, and we should be working with other
countries in the sub-region to ensure this happens. Similarly, the whole of
business life in The Gambia needs a fresh look, and policies for
regeneration will have to be set up in order to boost the business potential
in our country.  Entrepreneurs and business people will need the full
support of government in order to restore confidence and boost levels of
investment.

Tourism has been sadly neglected over the last six years, and we need to
take a fresh look at how we may best invigorate and diversify this sector of
the economy. There are many Gambians heading up the tourist sector who with
government backing, have the ideas and the skills to make our nation a
world-leader.

2. Infrastructure

In order for The Gambian economy to grow, and in order to encourage
investment in the country, the future government will need to put a lot of
effort into ensuring that the infrastructure of our nation will support
this. A chief priority will be a reliable, twenty-four hour electricity
supply and we should be working together with ESKOM in South Africa to draw
upon that organisation’s expertise and skill.

Transport (including roads and ferries) needs a boost, as does our
Telecommunications Service. Having been a leader in Africa in the
Telecommunications area, in the past, we are now relegated to the bottom
division.

Education and Health Services will need a thorough review, and I shall be
touching on these issues in later postings.

3. Foreign Policy

The Gambia has a crucial role to play in the sub region, throughout the
African continent and on the world scene. The next government will need to
undertake a critical examination of our foreign policy, and ensure that we
take our place in the world family, committed to high ethical standards and
dignity.

We need to be reviewing the strategic location of our embassies, and
ensuring that we have a voice in those important countries where thus far we
have none (in South Africa, for instance) and that our Embassies and High
Commissions are economically and effectively staffed by well-trained
Gambians. We ought to make sure that our Embassies are strategically located
and manned by competent diplomats.

Our relations with our immediate neighbours, and in particular Senegal, will
be a priority task, and we shall need to ensure that we build respect, trust
and recognition of territorial integrity with them.  The Gambia and Senegal
may be equated to "tongue and mouth": we have a mutual interdependence that
needs fostering and consolidation.

We are two discreet nations bound together by culture, language, geography,
climate and family, and we should be looking for ways to be mutually
supportive of each other whilst maintaining our independence of each other.

Links with African nations such as Nigeria and South Africa need
examination, and we should look for ways to extend these to mutual benefit.

4. Security Forces

There has been a lot of debate about the Security Forces in The Gambia
recently, and in particular about the Gambia National Army. Viewpoints range
from scrapping it completely, to enlarging it. My own view is that the GNA
requires total restructuring, and some downsizing.

There is already a nucleus of fine people who will form the backbone of a
streamlined, well-trained and ethnically diverse force, which will serve all
the needs of the nation. Its neutrality, particularly in the political
sphere, will need to be assured, and we should be encouraging a
diversification of role, as well as the more conventional services of an
armed force. We should also be looking for ways in which to foster
military/civil relations and ensure that the army plays a full role in
serving the country in peacetime.

My fellow Gambians, in this posting, I have not touched on Education,
Health, Women’s Affairs, Culture, Sport, Employment issues (including Trade
Unions and Employment Law), NGOs and the like. These are areas that need
fuller discussion, and I shall return to them in future postings.

I have spoken about SOME of the challenges which will face our new leader
and his/her government, and to conclude this piece, I should like to
challenge Gambians themselves.

The problems which have beset our country are not all related to leadership
issues. All of us need to be examining our own attitudes and ourselves, and
thinking about how we can reshape ourselves to serve the country better in
the future. We have to be less flattering of our leaders, less sycophantic,
less of the "praise singers". Instead, we need to be more honest, direct,
frank and candid with our leaders: they need our total and critical support
and not our empty flattery.

We cannot afford, as a Gambian people, a repetition of the last six years.
We have to do all in our power to make sure that we do not replace Jammeh
with a similar leader, and that we do not allow the same mentality of
leadership to develop.

We have an uphill struggle on our hands, but with dedication, hard-work and
concentrated effort, we can transform our beloved nation into one of which
we may all be justifiably proud.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK

PS: Gambia-L, my Sources are alive and kicking. I have been busy with this
series of postings, and my access to the Internet has until now been
limited. I am glad to say that I am now online at home, and shall be giving
my sources the green light to re-start their postings to me.