GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:42:00 -0400
Lamin,
Thanks for the forward. It is unfortunate that much of our history is
yet to be written. I must say I heard a similar version of the 4-gate
description of Gunjurr with corroboration by the little written about
foreign Kommbo. Foreign Kommbo is the name given to the rest of Kommbo
outside British Kommbo (now KMC). Accordingly, Gunjurr was the chief
among a handful of Marabout (Muslim) dominated towns in Kommbo (namely
Gnujrr, Sabejee, Brikama and Busumballa). These towns alsoled the
resistance to British expansion outside Banjul. These settlements were
traditionally protected by "Tatto" or stockades. Gunjurr settlement
being a particularly large one needed 4 gates (Daanaa Naani). It was
common practice by the Red Coats (British Army) to completely remove
stockades and Gunjurr's may have been removed after Kommbo Sillah's
defeat and subsequent internment at St. Louis.
I think we should encourage studentship in history of the The Gambia
particularly 1800 to 1950. Unfortunately, the British-centric  version
is at best suspect.

Malanding Jaiteh

Lamin Darbo wrote:
> Malanding
>
> Please refer some responses to your enquiry on why Gunjur is also
> called "Dabanani". None of the responses are attributable to me, but
> some contributors are on Gambia-L.
>
> As you can see, this particular topic was discussed back in 2006.
> Names and email specifics of participants in the discussion removed
> for privacy purposes.
>
> No, you, and Haruna cannot join our very vibrant Forum (Gunjur
> N'kolu), but Jabou may take her seat as a bona fide citizen of our
> coastal town.
>
> Enjoy the interesting perspectives on why Gunjur is also called
> "Dabanani".
>

> LJDarbo

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい