GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Darboe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:56:39 -0000
Rene,

This is sheer class! Your poem, coincidentally follows the themes of greed, suffering, vanity, pain and outrageous indifference in the face of these grueling circumstances expressed in Baba`s "Puhus..." and "Lullaby for the Hungry." Your own on Dr. Mam Biram of the previous day was the big contrast though! The themes of geniality, humility, astuteness, and so on,  as characteristic of your Mam Biram give succor to our disillusioned "African and Gambian hearts" . I therefore ask where have these virtues fled to? Or are we witnessing the re-incarnation of the times depicted in Robert Bolts A Man for All Season in which virtue is punished and vice rewarded?

A phrase in your poem  "your painful laughter" ,reminds me of the "Vultures" by David Diop. Like you, Diop used this powerful oxymoron to portray the callousness of the colonialists who employed forced labour as a means of infrastructural development. Diop used it this way: "painful laughter on the metallic hell of the roads". Really, I have found in this poem, and your previous postings, great literary prowess.

Perhaps you and Baba could help create an online literary resource centre for use by some of us here in The Gambia. I already know we have a strong literary community on the L.  Omar Joof too is one in this community.

Baba and Rene, I really enjoy reading stuff from you; kudos!

Alieu Darboe