GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:26:44 EST
Can someone please verify  the following information for me, and let me know
if it is true or false, and what the correct information is?

A business associate and l were making enquiries about shipping a container
of goods to Gambia and were told the following:

That for all containers of goods being shipped to Gambia now, the shipper has
to contact a French company called BIVVAK, and pay them $250.00 to obtain a
form to complete. This company will then do an inspection of the container (
not sure what this inspection is for) and clear the container before it can
be shipped? It is also my understanding that the customs duty to be paid once
the goods arrive in Gambia have nothing to do with this $250 fee to be paid
for this inspection form from the French company. It was also said that this
French company was contracted by the government to perform this service? Is
all this true? Can someone please shed some light on this? Any assistance
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jabou