GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:52:27 -0500
G-L Community:

What follows is a summary of the various proposals and strategies that
were posted on the Bantaba and to me privately. I found them to be
thoughtful and reflective of the twin themes of "National
Reconciliation" and "Positive/Constructive Engagement" with president
Jammeh, his Government, the National Assembly, Political parties and
other institutions and groups in Gambia's civil society. In looking at
all the postings on the issue, several key categories emerged.

A. ENHANCING DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS.
   * Consensus built around the principle of Gambians freely electing
those that govern and manage affairs of      state;
   * Protecting the rights of individuals, groups, political parties and
others in civil society to freely         express, associate and choose
those that govern them without fear or retribution from the state or
its        agents;
   * To engender a level playing field to ensure competitive party
politics and a Government based on the rule      of law.

STRATEGY:
* Unban all political parties and politicians and hold free and fair
elections;
* Obey electoral laws and regulations enacted by the Independent
Electoral Commission so as to ensure a level   playing field for all
parties and candidates;
* Provide access to media outlets for Political parties to have their
platform(s) known to the public;
* Review the Constitution, introduce a "Term-Limit" clause and rescind
all military decrees;
* Create an enabling economic and political environment such that
Gambians irrespective of social standing,     ethnicity, gender, age and
religion can pursue a livelihood in/with dignity;
* Work toward and vigorously support gender equality and other
activities that empower women and young girls;
* Protect the civil and political rights of Gambians and work toward
enhancing their economic rights and train   security forces to both
defend and promote the human rights of Gambians and those resident in
Gambia.

B. SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.
   The proposals under this category build upon and extend some programs
already in place in our Community by    Organizations such as Geso, GLC,
the Book Project and many others.  They are dedicated to improving
the       medical/health, educational and disaster relief assistance
programs at home. Mention was also made of         assistance to
Gambians in the diaspora especially in times of bereavement.

STRATEGY:
* Establish committees to address and monitor each issue area, possibly
in collaboration with existing          Organizations in order to
engender efficiency and effectiveness of their respective tasks;
* Provide "expert" and professional assistance to Government/agencies
and other societal institutions, groups   and individuals to enhance
national development;
* Enhance business activity by investing in Gambia and Gambians and in
so doing, create meaningful and          sustainable employment;
* Entertain and explore the issue of "dual citizenship" for Gambian
residents abroad to ease travel, business   ventures, absentee voting
and provide the basis for enduring ties for the children born of Gambian
parents    abroad.

OTHER STRATEGIES.
* Valuable proposals were made under this general category that
included:
* Creating a "Committee of 10" to monitor, recommend, commend and if
necessary condemn action/inaction by       Government, other political
actors, citizens or residents in Gambia whose policies, acts and /or
activity     may threaten the "national interest" not of the state
necessarily, but of ordinary Gambians.

 CONCLUSION.
It was also recommended as part of the healing and reconciliation
process that those accused and found guilty, in a court of law of
violations of individual, family and group rights be punished
accordingly.  And that truth telling and accountability must accompany
the healing and reconciliation process.

In my attempt to keep this short and to the point, I may have
unintentionally failed to include adequately
some specific proposals sent to me or posted on the Bantaba..  This is
not intended as a slight to anyone's ideas. We can always add to these
proposals.  This is an evolving document that should serve as a
springboard into the national debate.

Cheers!

Abdoulaye