GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:45:43 +0000
                            BY PA  NDERRY  M'BAI
WHILE the United Nations, ECOWAS and other international bodies have
vehemently condemned the Mauritanian military coup, local citizens in the
landlocked country are jubilationing  the action taken by the military.

DEPOSED TAYA WITH HIS "FRIEND
AND BROTHER" DICTATOR YAHYA
JAMMEH DURING A VISIT TO BANJUL
Both the civilian populace and the new military leaders believe that the
toppling of president Maaouiya Ould Sid Taya will mark the end of what they
called a "totalitarian" regime in that country.  Even though military coups
are considered illegal and also an affront to democracy, the average
Mauritanians argued that without the military intervention President Taya,
will continue to misrule their country.

The issue of divide and rule, slavery, intimidation of political opponents
and discrimination were some of the reasons advanced by the military to
justify their coup.  However, world big powers including the UN are asking
the military to return the country to civilian rule at the soonest possible
time.

Now we should critically examine the factors leading to such
unconstitutional actions.  First and foremost is the issue of over staying
in power.  Our leaders are hell bent on undermining national constitutions
in a bid to further stay in power.  Most constitutions prescribed for two
term limit for the presidency.  But due to greed and corruption, some
leaders will amend such clauses to suit to their own selfish  interests.
Common sense should dictate to them that over staying in power will give
room to corruption and misrule.

We are not trying to justify military take overs in any way.  What we are
saying here is that the third world should start urging our leaders to
practice modern democracy by promoting two term limit for the presidency.
This will save the continent from such unlawful acts.  Military coups are
not  the solution to the continent's trials and tribulations.

Just imagine in less than one year,  the deposed Taya had suffered more than
three failed military coups.   The writings were on the wall for everyone to
see including Taya,  that change was inevitable in Mauritania.   Instead, he
kept on vilifying the opposition and human rights activists in that country.

Shortly after the coup, many local observers started raising questions about
how Gambia's president Yahya Jammeh will feel-now that "his friend and big
brother" Taya had been toppled.  What type of relationship did Taya had with
Yahya over the years.?  Why should people think that Jammeh will be living
in a world of anxiety and worry following the toppling of his fellow tyrant
Ould Sid Taya? These are valid questions.  It's only Jammeh who could
volunteer to give out the answers.

One thing is clear though, Jammeh had a lot of  common  characteristics with
the deposed Mauritanian president.  Both leaders had proven to be iron hand
presidents. They ruled with impunity.  As the Wollof saying goes"Wahama sa
haret, ma wahla sa geko" meaning tell me your friend and i tell you your
attitude. Indeed. A very true and frank statement.

While, we strongly condemned the Mauritanian coup, it's our contention that
leaders like Taya,  the late Togolese president, exiled Liberian leader
Charles Taylor and Yahya Jammeh, have over stayed their mandates.  These
leaders had  over the years imposed themselves to the people without any
constitutional justification.

A classical case is The Gambia, where the former military boys headed by now
president Yahya Jammeh vowed that they will not allow future leaders to rule
The Gambia for more than two terms.  Such statements of Jammeh are well
documented.  We have tapes, in which  Jammeh vilified the former president
Jawara for "misruling the tiny West African country."  It was Jammeh who
said"We will not allow anybody to rule The Gambia for thirty years again.
Two terms is enough.  The new military junta is here to promote
accountability, transparency and probity. Over staying in power will never
be allowed"

What's the situation today?  Guess what?  Jammeh broken promises are now
trashed in the dustbin of history.  He was only interested in taking charge
of the presidency to further enforce what had always been accusing  deposed
president Jawara.

It was under Yahya's watch that constitutional provision encouraging two
terms limit for the presidency was amended.  It was under Yahya's watch that
the constitutional provision for second round of voting was abolished.
what's the justification of their coup against the PPP administration?

The people of Mauritania should be bid cautious about these new military
rulers.  Their dream for a new Mauritania with flourishing democracy and
rule of law will be shattered if they fail to mount pressure on the military
rulers to go back to barracks. The military is not capable of  bringing any
development in that country.  Instead, they will loot the nation's coffers
in the name of effecting change. They will also go after people, they
perceived to be a threat to their regime.

  Beside the late Thomas Sankara, non of these so called coup leaders
honoured their promises to poverty stricken citizens.  Sankara was right
when he said"A soldier without a political education is virtually a
criminal."  From our little understanding Sankara was trying to imply that
the participation of some military leaders in  active African politics was
criminal.  That they lacked the leadership qualities to govern a nation.
That soldiers should be well trained before doubling  in politics.

We are asking the new Mauritanian military rulers to present a reasonable
time table to the people of the landlocked country and return the nation to
civilian rule. That the new changes should not be used to persecute Taya's
followers.  That messages of unity and reconciliation should be preached.

Long live democracy and rule of law.  Long live equal rights and justice.