GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
arona john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:51:56 PST
While political observers are chewing over what lessons can be derived from
the recent election results in Senegal I will cease this opportunity to
congratulate the Patient Senegalese voters.The Senegalese have demonstrated
that they can serve as a role model for other third world countries.Both
President Maire Wada and outgoing President Diouf deserve to be praised for
been very mature politicians.Maire Wade had always indicated that Diouf
deserves   respect even if Diouf's should loose in the election.Mr. Diouf on
the other hand had accepted his defeat in good faith.This is how mature and
true lovers of democracy should do.The fact that people belong to different
schools of political thoughts should not mean that they do not have to
accommodateeach others mistakes.

Now having said all this,what reasons help to explain Ex-president Diouf's
defeat in this election?This is an issue which our mind should be labouring
over.The reasons can help many of us to build up a smooth learning
curve.Ex-president should have learnt a lot from his former boss Sedat
Senghore and many others including his immediate friend and elder
brother,Sir Dawda Jawara.Senghore left the post of the presidency when he
felt that he had delivered his service to his nation but at the same time
most needed by the Senegalese people.Sir Dawda Jawara on the extreme end
decided to stay on for good which led to his overthrew in July 22,
1994.Ex-president Diouf decides to follow the style of those who think that
they should rule for life.And this had led to a great miracle in Africa.When
one is surrounded by people of the same age group one might think that one
is still capable to lead.But the catch is that most of those who advice you
to stay on to power want to safeguard their own self interest.Hence it is
this self interestt that makes one to overstay in power.Mr. Diouf had
overstayed in the post of the presidency and as a result his ability to
deliver the good to the Senegalese people diminishes.

Thus in summary,it is the overstay effect which succinctly explains Diouf's
defeat.The lesson is let us not overstay,hence the law of diminishing return
will take its own course.As ex-president Diouf is now quite busy packing to
leave the Presidential Building I will welcome our learned and patient
politician, President Wada.We hope you will learn a lot from Diouf.May ALLAH
saves Africa.AMEN! Long live freedom,long Africa!