GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:59:54 +0100
Ebrima,

PDOIS did have a programme with Radio 1FM just like all the parties have
already had their turn. One of the questions was about the presidential
election. It was made abundantly clear that each political party aims to win
the support of the people; that election is the only way in a democratic
society to achieve the mandate of the people; that in the presidential
election, PDOIS will certainly put up a candidate. We will certainly be
grateful if all political parties were to support PDOIS' candidate. We will,
however, respect the decision of any political party to put up its own
candidate.

It was added that without 50% majority by anyone candidate there will be a
second round of voting; that it is at this time that giving support to a
particular candidate, on the basis of mutual agreement, could be done. This
is what was indicated. I am sure those who have examined the Senegalese
election would be quite conversant with the fact that Niasse and Djibo Ka
were able to play their cards in the second round based on the results of
the first round. It is unthinkable for PDOIS to be a reserve of any
political party in this country. However, we can consider strategic
interests in the second round. This is the point.

Greetings.

Halifa.