GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
UNCLE JAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:52:02 GMT
Woe be to CORRUPTION

Corruption is a small seed in the flesh of man that can hardly die. You
can't just kill it with words, intimidation, preaching, for others will
never hear. The human being Economics teaches us that  can never ever be
satisfied with their material well being.

Many things have been said about this never die word and many books have
been written about how to end it but still the solution elusive.

Some time in the history of The Gambia a Mr. Soldier Man and & Co.Plc.took
the reigns of govt. thinking that they will be able to kill this seed. But
the revelations in recent Daily Observer issues are contrary to their
dreams. As I said, corruption is a "never die" tree. The best way to
kill/maim this manipulative evil is by sitting down and using brain and not
brawn. I will suggest the following steps:

First ask yourself these questions;

1. What is Corruption?
2. What makes a people to be corrupt?
3. Where and Where else does it exist?
4. Am I, myself corrupt based on the above?
5. Are those around me corrupt too?

To solve a problem, you first of all need to understand the nitty gritty of
the problem, otherwise you may be trying to fit a squared peg into a round
hole.

If the Civil Service is still not well paid, how do we expect them to be
corruption free?. If bosses are flying in and out of the country without
achieving even the cost of the cup of coffee they were served during the
trip, how do you expect those behind to be well dedicated workers? Of course
officers should travel but at minimal cost to the state and when and only
where necessary. But not just because Mr. Chang came to me so I should also
go to him for; what??

Nuclear weapons cannot kill corruption, so what else can kill it in The
Gambia. Good pay and good examples from those above. The people who put in
place measures to combat this social ill are the very same people who invent
ways of the beating their own system. This is because their take home pay
and incentives are not enough to feed the dependents at home. Therefore a
broaderlook at corruption in The Gambia can be started by looking at pay,
job creation to reduce dependency and many more. What do you have to say
folks

UNCLE JAY