GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:33:18 EDT
Yes, George, the tragedy is much more than Yaya Jammeh. It is people who do
not even know that they have rights, and that  their rights are being grossly
abused by these incompetent brutes.

During the height of the Civil Rights era, some Black folks used to say  that
people like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King were trouble makers, that they
should not "rock the boat".

Malcolm X once made a remark about those people that  "we will set them free,
even if we have to shove freedom down their throats".
Boy! do some of those same people and their offspring enjoy this freedom from
those dark days of segregation and bigotry that people like Martin Luther
King and others gave their lives to accomplish. If they were to shut up and
stay in their place as advocated by these folk, why, Black people  would
still be using segregated bathrooms here in the South.Imagine that.

We continue to struggle and to hope that we can open the eyes of people such
as this individual, so that they can come to a realization of what to expect
from our leaders, and that every Gambian  does infact have the  right to
expect competence from our leadership, to criticize them, and  make a
concerted effort to remove them forthwith if they fall short of our
expectations. But the challenge is to bring people to that realization that
they are the represented, that it is the people who make a leader. It is very
obvious that some of us still have not made that simple connection.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 8/3/00 10:56:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,