GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:19:19 -0700
Peter,

        I would like to make a reply to your question re: Marrying your dead
brother's wife.

        I am a Christian and am very well versed on the Hebrew scriptures of
the Holy Bible.

        In the Mosaic Law, one of the laws stated that If a Man was married and
died before he fathered any sons with his wife, it was an obligation of
a brother of his to marry his wife in order to father a son to carry on
the dead husband's family name and lineage.

        Now, that's about as far as I can go.  I don't know which brother got
the honor, if the deceased brother had several brothers.  I do believe
though, that even if the brother had his own wife, he could still marry
his dead brother's wife to father sons for his brother.

        To be honest with you, it sounds like a "Man" thing to me.  But, I
don't make the rules in this world, I just have to abide by them.

        PEACE!  Irie Ceesay