GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:31:25 EDT
Dear Ebou Jallow,

I cannot find your post to reference here, but i wanted to respond to your
comment that to challenge the outcome of the election results is
"unsophisticated"

Well, I personally believe that what is unsophisticated is our tendency as a
people to just glib over things and move on. This is the reason we find
ourselves as the aiders and abbetors of all manner of dictators and abusers
of human rights, and of course, we are at the receiving end of the senseless
brutality metted out by these monsters we create by our complacency and our
tendency to rationalize everything and move on in order not to rock the boat.

Challenging the election results if there is an discrepancy found may not
remove Jammeh from office, but i think we will be the loosers if we do not
point this discrepancy out if it is there. I can understand why some of us
would like to have this dictatorsahip stay as long as possible because it
serves as a cloak of security both for Jammeh and his cohorts as well as a
blanket of security for those who would other wise have to answer for their
misdeed against the people.

There is nothing sophisticated about looking the other way when wrongs are
committed  and still expecting good end results. That is plain idiocy, but
perhaps someone who told me the other day  that our people cannot be helped
is right.In order to help a people, they have to be willing to help
themselves, and even those amongst us who should know better do not seem
willing to do this.

Jabou Joh