GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:01:39 PDT
Dear  Dr Katim,

I did enjoy yours and that of Ous Bojang on this issue.And I also believed
that it is only through political pressure we can save the lives of many young
Gambians.One thing that came into my mindafter reading your piecs is that if
You and Dr Saine can join Buharry in drafting the standard letter that brother
Kabir propossed here the other day and coordinate the ditribution to human
rights organisation and other institutions that might be of interest.

For Freedom

Saiks

I've been following the thread about Dumo's detention, and I must say I'm
appalled at the increasing arrogance of the Gambian government.  These
people really have no sense of justice, and the rule of law, and hence have
no business running our country.

They've at least moved some toward resolving the case, by bringing them to
court.  But the court is at best a kangaroo court, simply because it was
held in closed session, in a country that's supposedly free, open, and fair.
Obviously, these people do not mean what they say; if that is, they have any
idea what they are talking about.

government to innocent citizens, I will agree with Amadu's suggestion below,
that we intensify campaigns against the government.  I received an e-mail
the other day was really pleased to learn that Mr. Oussainou Mbenga, of the
Gambia Freedom and Democracy Movement (GFDM) was in attendance at the last
meeting of the Advocacy Network for Africa (ADNA).  The Network is based in
Washington, DC, and has over 200 advocacy organizations interested in
African issues.  I hope it would be possible for GFDM, and other interested
Gambian groups to work with ADNA
(http://www.africapolicy.org/adna/adnalist.htm) to help spread the word
about the Gambian government's abuse of human rights, and the Dumo case in
particular.  For your information, the e-mail I recieved about the ADNA
meeting also mentioned that they will be discussing the situation in The
Gambia at their next meeting, and that's positive.

There are also possibilities for working working with other human rights
organizations such as Amnesty International, and other organizations that
some subscribers might have contacts with.  The bottom line is that we must
not spare any effort to ensure that the excesses of the Jammeh government
are known to as many people as is possible.

And to Dumo's wife, and the rest of the family, the Independent newspaper
editors who are being harassed by the Jammeh government, I would like to
inform them that they have our full support in their struggles.  We are
certainly thinking of them, and praying for them too.

Keep up the great work, and best wishes.

Katim