GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:20:08 EDT

Foroyaa Newspaper  Burning Issue
Issue No. 61/2006, 4-6  August, 2006
Editorial

THE  PRESIDENT, IEC AND THE OPPOSITION
The person appointed Chairman of the IEC has been sworn in. In our last
issue we published a letter from the NADD flagbearer indicating that the IEC
could not make any valid decision until it had a sworn Chairman. A  constitutional
amendment would also be necessary to create the post of Deputy  Chairperson
to act in the absence of the Chairperson. During the swearing in  ceremony the
President made remarks touching on the conduct of the IEC and the  opposition.
It is important to point out that the motto of the IEC is fair play,
integrity and transparency. The IEC however has disenfranchised Gambians who  have a
right to vote because of the shortage of films. It has been categorically
stated by an IEC official that those people will not be allowed to be
registered. Is this fair play? It is not. If anybody makes this an issue could  that
person be accused of dictating to the IEC. No! The IEC should abide by its
motto, then it will not make the type of mistakes that would warrant any  criticism
from the camp of the government or the opposition. What is rather  strange in
the Presidents’ speech is the mention of money given to the IEC to  buy
films. He told the IEC “You cannot take my money that is meant for public  interest
and think that I will not ask how it is spent. I did it so that it  could be
used by IEC for films to be bought.” The Chairman of the IEC needs to  call a
press conference and explain what this money is all about. The IEC should
have access to the 120 million dalasis reserved for electoral purposes. We need
explanation why the President had to finance the IEC in his personal
capacity.
Furthermore, the President indicated that the if the minority wants to
provoke the majority he will give them more than enough, that the minority will
not dictate how elections are to be held in this country. He claimed that an SoS
 was stoned during the Kombo East by election and the provocation was not
condemned by the foreign embassies. He warned that if provocations happen in the
 coming election he will set an example that the whole world will live to
remember in the next 1000 years. He said the IEC should not receive instructions
 from foreign embassies.
Foroyaa’s advice to the President is that there is an inter- party  committee
set up by the MOU which should be utilized to resolve inter party
differences. A nation that is heading towards election within two months does  not need
words of antagonism.
We are convinced that The Gambian people will go through this election to
cast their votes without fear to make their choice.
The opposition are also expected to elevate themselves to the level of
statesmen and women who tell the people what they intend to do to change their
conditions rather than trade antagonistic words with their opponents. Gambia  has
changed for good. We expect this year’s campaign will be unique in African
history.

THE  NADD AND UDP/NRP VIEWS ON UNITY
Even though the views of the two  Alliances are different, forces are at work
to influence the two sides to work  to reconcile their differences.
Will they succeed or will they not?
That is the  question.
Below are three letters in the  issue.
UDP/NRP ALLIANCE PROPOSAL FOR A  COMMON FRONT BY ALL OPPOSITION PARTIES IN
THE SEPTEMBER 2006PRESIDENTIAL
ELECTIONS

It is within the spirit of our common  objective to bring about a change of
the present status quo in The Gambia and  restore genuine democracy, freedom,
rule of law and real economic development  that we take this initiative to
invite you to discuss and agree on a proposal to  establish a common front in
order to contest and hopefully win the 2006  presidential elections.
You will recall that Mr. Ousainou Darboe  and Amadou Taal had met with Hon.
Halifa Sallah of NADD to discuss acceptable  arrangements towards a united
front of the opposition in the 2006 presidential  elections and the 2007 National
Assembly Elections. These discussions were  supposed to continue after each
side had consulted with its Executive Committee  for endorsement.
We in the UDP/NRP Alliance have since  had a meeting of our joint National
Executive Committee. The joint Executive  Committee has mandated Mr. Darboe to
pursue the discussions with NADD as quickly  as possible. We have since been
waiting to hear from Hon. Halifa Sallah so that  discussions could resume.
The membership of UDP/NRP Alliance and  NADD are well conscious of the fact
that the elections are just around the  corner and there is not much time at
our disposal. In view of the time  constraint the UDP/NRP Alliance formally
invites you to consider the following  proposals for a united front of opposition
parties and these  are:
1) The UDP/NRP Alliance be expanded to  include NADD
2) ‘That the new Alliance adopts a single  flag bearer to contest the
2006 presidential  elections.
3) That the whole activities of the  elections be governed by the dictates of
the present  Constitutions.
4) That the issue of allocating  portfolios and responsibilities be shelved
and that the Alliance concentrates on  the principles of regime change which
will ultimately lead to a system  change.
5) That after the elections and provided  that the expanded Alliance wins the
elections arrangements be made for  organizing a National Constitutional
Review Conference within a period of three  months after the National Assembly
Elections.
6) The recommendations of the Conference  will be the subject of a referendum
and thereafter be submitted to the National  Assembly for adoption and
ratification.
It is our belief that only the Gambian  people can determine how the affairs
of this country should be administered and  all other actors are to abide by
the dictates and the will of the  people.
It is in this regard that we take  serious cognizance of the efforts and the
initiatives of the Gambians in the  diaspora as well as groups of concerned
Gambians resident within the country.  Both have been making tremendous efforts
to ensure that the opposition remains a  united front and to contest the
presidential elections under one  umbrella.
Mr. Hamat Bah who was on a recent visit  to the USA met with Gambians who
emphasized  and reiterated their concern to foster unity within the opposition.
The same  trend is currently being pursued by a group of concerned Gambians
representing  all works of life within the country. This group has met Hon.
Halifa Sallah, Mr. Hamat Bah and the  undersigned and all promised to make all
efforts for the creation of a united  front against the present regime.
Finally, we believe that we should meet  at your earliest convenience so that
our agreement can be reached as soon as  possible given that we have very
limited time for the September 2006  elections.
(OUSAINOU DARBOE FOR UDP/NRP ALLIANCE)

Halifa’s letter to  Darboe

OBSERVATIONS  BEFORE NADD’S RESPONSE

I write to acknowledge receipt of your  letter dated 27th July 2006.
History has placed on our shoulders  exceptional responsibilities which we
have to carry with honesty, sincerity and  objectivity.  During our informal
discussion I had indicated to you that if we fail to do what is demanded by our
times and circumstances history will indict all of us; that I, Halifa Sallah,
 have no ambition to seek political office for its sake; that I accepted to
be  flag bearer in answer to the call of duty; that I will not hesitate to
relinquish the responsibility if it is demanded by the call of  destiny.
It is therefore necessary to convey my  personal opinion to you before
transmitting the position of the Executive  Committee of NADD.  First and  foremost,
it is important to recall that our discussion started as an informal  one.
Viewpoints were expressed,  confidentiality sought and a plan of action
proposed.
A summation of my views is necessary to  put the record straight.  I
indicated that, when we first met to discuss about unity among the opposition we  had
the option to unite around one party and its leader to contest the 2006
presidential election or create an umbrella party and select a flagbearer to
serve as a unifying factor.  I  emphasized that we created NADD because no party
or leader at the time could  have served as our unifying factor, on the basis
of his/her personal and party’s  strength.
I stressed that the equality advocated  by NADD provided the basis for its
collective ownership by all parties.  It was envisaged that such collective
ownership will motivate all the supporters of the various parties to support
NADD candidates.  NADD therefore  provided the basis for support irrespective of
gender, party, tribe or other  affiliations.  I added that NADD has  been
tested and what may be the problem is the person selected as  flagbearer.  I
emphasized that if  any body could be found who could better serve as a unifying
factor I will be  willing to step aside for the person to be a flag bearer. You
also expressed  your opinion.
After hearing your opinion we decided to  move into some concrete issues.
Here again, I reiterated that unlike NADD the UDP/NRP Alliance has not
elaborated on a Memorandum of Understanding that spells out its strategic  objectives
and basis of unity.  On  the other hand NADD makes it very clear that a
transitional arrangement should  follow the ousting of the APRC regime characterized
by collective leadership, a  five year transitional mandate for the
president, constitutional, administrative  and legal reform and the creation of a level
ground for the subsequent  presidential election.  I indicated  to you that
the NADD Memorandum explains how a flagbearer can be selected by  consensus or
a primary.  On the  other hand I pointed out that the UDP/NRP alliance has not
worked out these  details.
We finally agreed that your alliance  will seek to formulate a proposal to be
placed side by side to the NADD  arrangement for discussion by the Executive
of the two alliances.  Immediately after our meeting, I came  across a report
on what Mr. Hamat Bah had said in the US and forwarded  it to you for
clarification as a matter of urgency.
Mr. Bah stated the following: “We  made serious mistakes in our negotiations.
We should not have in the first place  accepted equal representation.  That
was our mistake.  And it was this  mistake that led to the fall out.”
Mr. Bah added: “I will not disclose  the discussions going on at the moment
between the two alliances.  But I will tell you we will agree on a  flagbearer.
 What complicated the  negotiations is that NADD wanted positions, they
wanted the cake that is not yet  baked.
“This is the problem. I have made it  very clear.  I will not endorse  anyone
for the flagbearer except Darboe.  The president has the mandate of who will
be the vice president and  whatever Ousainou will exercise that right.  For
now, let’s just file one  candidate.  We are not going to make  any agreement as
to who is to occupy which position.  The president will do  that.”
After the assertion of this  uncompromising statement by your partner what
was there to negotiate? Let me ask  you these basic questions which the
Executive Committee of NADD wanted me to  convey to you for clarification. Before Mr.
Bah went to the US was  any negotiation between the Alliances in progress? The
answer must definitely be  in the negative.
Secondly, did we discuss anything  dealing with the sharing of positions
which complicated negotiations? Obviously,  if no negotiation was in progress it
is equally obvious that nothing dealing  with positions, that could complicate
negotiation, could have been a subject of  discussion.
The Executive Committee of NADD wanted  me to convey to you that after a flag
bearer was selected by NADD no meeting had  ever been convened even by NADD
to talk about the sharing of position.  This concept is just part of spirit of
the Memorandum of Understanding. Hence they could not understand Mr. Bah’s
motive for making the unfounded remarks that NADD wanted the sharing of a cake
that is not baked. I decided to withhold the letter that I should have
conveyed  to you to request for clarification as to whether our personal and
informal  discussion is what was being misconstrued by Mr. Bah as a negotiation. I
decided  to withhold the letter until I could give further information to the
NADD  Executive Committee because of a call I received from Mr. Musa Sanneh
indicating  that Mr. Bah had assured them that he would pioneer the necessary
momentum to  put an end to any misunderstanding and facilitate a conducive
environment for  negotiation. Of course we have not heard from Mr. Bah since he came
back.
Mr Darboe, you will agree with me that  given the categorical remarks made by
your partner that your Alliance will not enter into any alliance that
guarantees  equal representation during negotiations I was right to stop all
discussions to  avoid giving any legitimacy to incorrect notions propagated by your
him in the  USA.
We therefore hope that you will now  agree for all the correspondence between
the two Alliances to be done in public  so that no person will ever claim to
have privileged knowledge and confuse our  supporters at home and abroad.
The NADD Executive Committee asked me to  convey to you that it is not
interested in any alliance that will not guarantee  the sovereign equality of all
member parties.
Now that you have written a proposal to  the NADD Executive it will convey an
appropriate and timely response. I hope you  will give a copy of your letter
to NADD to the group of Gambians who are  currently serving as a catalyst to
the negotiation. I will give them a copy to  start the process of transparency
and accountability for all our actions for  posterity.
Yours in the service of the  Nation,
Halifa  Sallah.

NADD’s Letter to  UDP/NRP Alliance
ON THE PROPOSAL OF  THE UDP/NRP ALLIANCE

Your memorandum dated 27th July 2006 on the above mentioned subject  has been
received.  The members of  the Executive Committee of NADD are fully
conscious of the clarion call of the  Gambian people for unity transcending party,
tribal, regional and other  affiliations.
Infact, NADD was founded precisely to  make it impossible for the regime to
exploit such differences to win the  Presidential election.  You would  recall
that the discussion regarding the selection of a flag bearer started in
earnest a long time ago.  When the  first method of reaching a consensus failed a
second method was put in  place.  If this failed any party  could have
recommended for the Chairmen, Chairwomen and Youth Leaders of the  parties in each
village or ward to be consulted to do the  selection.
A congress of that nature could have  been the starting point of NADD’s
campaign.  This would have undoubtedly been a very  massive event following the
visit of President Obasanjo who came purposefully to  mediate between NADD and
the APRC government.  Had such development taken place we  would not have been
racing against time.
Our present predicament therefore is a  by product of our division.  Needless
to say, your discussion with Halifa Sallah was designed to  enable you to
share opinion on the state of the country and the way  forward.  We have gathered
that the  discussion eventually led to proposals to be considered before
negotiation could  be initiated.
The NADD Executive fully endorsed the  confidentiality which characterized
the discussion but was later taken aback  when Mr.  Hamat Bah stated in
categorical terms that the UDP/NRP Alliance will never negotiate on the basis of
equality with other political parties.  He claimed that negotiation was on, that
the only thing delaying the  negotiation is NADD’s insistence for the sharing
of a cake that is not baked.  This polluted the atmosphere surrounding the
discussion compelling Halifa Sallah  to issue a statement to dismiss Mr. Bah’s
claim that negotiations were on and  that it was stalled because of differences
on the issue of sharing posts. Now  that the necessary clarification is made
NADD is willing to consider any  proposal.
Evaluation Of Your  Proposals
Your first proposal is for the UDP/NRP  Alliance to be expanded to include
NADD.  The position of the NADD Executive is unequivocal.  The executive members
are convinced that  after the second round of voting was eliminated no
opposition party or its  leader could be promoted to win an election on the basis of
its individual  strength.  NADD wants the UDP/NRP  Alliance to take note of
the current state of their parties.
It wishes to go on record to affirm that  NDAM, NRP, PDOIS, PPP and UDP are
still registered parties in the country; that  the registration of NADD was not
designed to kill other political parties and it  has not killed other
political parties.  That is why the UDP/NRP Executive members who were in NADD could
signatures.  The Executive Committee wishes to  reiterate that all the other Executive
Committee members of NADD decided to  create this umbrella party and register
it so as to galvanize the collective  strength of the opposition parties to
remove the present regime and then give  life to each party to contest the next
following election on equal footing on  the basis of its own merit and that of
its  candidate.
The creation of NADD cultivated a sense  of common ownership that no alliance
around a single party can create.  The Executive Committee further observes
that a UDP/NRP/NADD Alliance will not be recognized in law.  Any candidate
would have to be under UDP  NRP or NADD ticket.  Hence your  proposal is
considered to take NADD back to square one when the opposition  parties were
considering whether to contest the election under an umbrella party  or under the
leadership of one of the existing  parties.
It is therefore maintained that the NADD  arrangement provides the best
opportunity for collective ownership of the  candidate and the campaign process to
guarantee victory.  This is the first  point.
Secondly, you propose that the new  alliance adopts a single flagbearer to
contest the 2006 presidential election.  The Executive Committee of NADD
considers the proposal to be incomplete.  It would like to know how the selection  is
to be conducted.  NADD had  established a selection process based on
consensus or voting by party chairmen,  chairwomen and youth leaders.  If no
mechanism is proposed there is no way the NADD Executive can make a decision on  this
matter.
Thirdly, you propose that the activities  of the election be governed by the
present constitution.  The Executive Committee does not  understand what this
means. The constitution has been amended so many times that  it gives the
president monarchical powers. A President now rules without term  limit. The
President can appoint and dismiss the Chiefs; dismiss the members of  the IEC and
can even dissolve the National Assembly. Are you implying that the  flagbearer
should not give commitment on a political platform not to seek a  second
mandate or support another candidate in the next following election?  Should we not
have a transitional arrangement to curtail the monarchical powers  of the
presidency which should be propagated on our political platforms? Should  the
flag bearer not be urged to give commitment in public to combat and uproot  such
powers that legitimize impunity?
This is the corner stone of NADD’s  attempt to put an end to self
perpetuating rule.  The NADD Executive strongly maintains  that this platform of putting
an end to self perpetuating rule and impunity is  the best weapon the
opposition has in winning popular support.  This is one platform it has been
propagating to the wide approval of the electorate.  How to reverse this process
without  being accused of being power hungry is a dilemma we need to give careful
consideration to.
Your fourth proposal is for the alliance  to limit itself to regime change
and that the issue of portfolios be  shelved.  The NADD Executive wishes  to
convey that the issue of creating a cabinet based on shared responsibility by
member parties should not be mistaken to be an attempt to share the cake of
power.  NADD aims to keep the  opposition parties alive and facilitate a healthy
multiparty system after a five  year transition by implementing the policy of
collective  leadership.
Nothing is explained why such a general  undertaking to operate a government
based on the participation of all member  parties and representatives of civil
society should be shelved. The NADD  Executive maintains that the first five
years after Jammeh, should be a  transition period to genuine democratic and
constitutional rule.  All the basic rectification programmes  that should be
made should be known to the people, so that no leader will be  able to betray
their aspirations without being challenged and removed in the  first five years.
 It stands to  reason that if a future president, elected on the basis of
merit is expected to  accept a two term limit why should the first president of a
post Jammeh  government not accept one term to build the culture of
establishing term limits  for the presidency?
The fifth point is for a National  Constitutional Review Conference to be the
held within a period of three months  after the National Assembly elections.
In our view, the review of a constitution should be done through civic
education programmes designed to enable the people to know what is in the
constitution followed by a nation wide debate on the need for amendments through  the
auspices of a constitutional review commission. This is part of the NADD
programme of action.
Your sixth point is that the  recommendations of a national constitutional
conference will be subjected to a  referendum and then presented to the National
Assembly.  The Executive Committee of NADD  considers such a proposal to be
of a general nature.  No issue has been raised.  It is not clear whether the
recommendations will be transformed into a bill that would require the approval
 of the National Assembly before a referendum.  We don’t know what
recommendations will  touch on the entrenched clauses to warrant a referendum.  Hence
there is no point to make a  decision on.
To conclude, allow us to indicate that  the best way forward for any party
which thinks that it has the might to remove  the APRC regime is to proceed to
do so and ask other parties to support its  programme.  However if all
opposition parties are convinced that an alliance is the best instrument to  remove
the present regime then the NADD arrangement appears to have earned  popular
appeal. The flagbearer of NADD has stated in no uncertain term that he  will be
ready to vacate the seat in favour of anyone who can be a unifying  factor of
all those who are dissatisfied with the existing  regime.
The NADD Executive therefore calls on  the UDP/NRP Alliance to do a critique
of the NADD MOU and make recommendations  on what to delete to make it
acceptable to them. The NADD Executive will review  any recommendation with
objectivity.
While anticipating a swift and practical  response,
We remain
Yours in the service of the  Nation.
Halifa  Sallah
For the NADD  Executive.

GPTC  STAFF PENALISED
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
The Management of The Gambia Public  Transport Corporation (GPTC) have
decided to penalize the Staff who did not  participate in the last nationwide
cleansing  exercise.
A memo from the Managing Director to the  Personnel Officer reads: “I am by
virtue of the services rule (607) 1, 2 and 3  withdrawing all the
responsibility allowances paid to all those who were absent  and are earning it for not
acting in a responsible manner and a day deduction  for the rest of staff in
Kanifing as a first measure while I wait for further  instruction.”
The Managing Director of the GPTC,  Momodou A.B Jagne has confirmed the
disciplinary measure taken by the  Management. In an interview with Foroyaa on
Thursday, Jagne said it is in  accordance with GPTC service rules that the measure
is  taken.
He added that a general circular was  issued to inform all workers that there
will be a cleansing exercise at GPTC  premises on the 29th of July.
“This was a call from the highest office  for everybody to participate
effectively. Now we have a circular passed, and  some of them don’t just care about
the circular. And this is the repercussion,”  Mr. Jagne said.

DARBOE REBUTS MAJA KO  SAMUSAN
By Fabakary B  Ceesay
Lawyer Ousainou Darboe of the United  Democratic Party (UDP), has reacted to
claims made by Majanko Samusa at a recent  APRC meeting held in Wellingara.
Below we produce Majanko’s claims and Darboe’s  reaction.
Mr Majanko Samusa, the NCP bigwig has  said that the majority of UDP
supporters were drawn from the  NCP.
Mr. Samusa made this remark at a  political rally held in Wellingara on
Saturday, 29th July, 2006.  He said, the role the NCP played in  forming the
majority of UDP supporters could never be questioned.  “Kemeseng Jammeh, Badara
Sidibeh and  Dembo Bojang all know that it is because of the NCP that UDP became
what it is  today,” he told the rally. He pointed out that during the 1996 and
2001 pools,  the vast majority of NCP supporters cast their votes for Ousainou
Darboe and the  UDP Party.  He challenged the UDP  leader for saying on the
papers that the people who defected to the APRC in  Bundung were infact NCP
supporters and not U.D.P members. He said this is an  unfortunate statement from
Mr. Darboe.  Mr Samusa advised Darboe to withdraw that statement.  He also
called on all NCP supporters in  UDP to join the APRC, since their party is now
in an alliance with APRC.  “It was the NCP supporters who made  Ousainou Darboe
what he is today in Gambian politics.  “Nobody knows Darboe before 1996 but
the  NCP made him what he is today,” he lamented.  He cautioned Darboe not to
humiliate  himself by contesting the elections, because the NCP supporters are
no more  behind him and his party.  The  recently nominated member, Majanko
Samusa, was a National Assembly member for  the NCP party during the first
Republic and has joined the UDP when his former  party was banned from
participating in the 1996  pools.
In an exclusive interview with this  reporter in his office, Ousainou Darboe
refuted the claims made by Majanko  Samusa, that NCP supporters constitute the
majority of supporters in his party,  the United Democratic Party.
According to Darboe, Majanko is on a  campaign to make statements that will
please the APRC leadership.  He said if the majority of the people in  the UDP
are NCP supporters, then the last elections would have shown quite  clearly
that the UDP would have had a reduced number of votes, when NCP  supporters
including Majanko himself decided to go back to their party.  “So I think Majanko’
s statement is a  false statement and a very misleading one.”  He said Mr.
Samusa should be dealing  with issues that are affecting the livelihood of the
Gambian People, but not  what made Ousainou Darboe to be popular in Politics. “
My popularity was due to  my professional activities, but not my Political
Career. My popularity is not  the concern of Gambians, but the quality of
education they want for their  Children and the quality of Medical Care that they
received. The issue is not  about my popularity or unpopularity, ”Mr. Darboe
pointed out that the people who  claimed to defect from UDP to APRC in Bundung
were probably UDP supporters in  1996 but they were surely NCP supporters. “In
2001 when Sheriff Dibba decided to  go on his own, those people went back to NCP
including Majanko himself and I  stand by my words,” Darboe said. Darboe
narrated that he did not know of any  alliance between NCP and APRC. He quoted the
Majority Leader, Churchill Baldeh  as saying that APRC will not go into an
alliance with any party for the coming  Presidential Elections. “May be Samusa
is creating an alliance for NCP and APRC.  Samusa should know that he has been
convinced to abandon NCP for APRC. He has  been shifting from one Party to
another. He was in NCP then UDP, went back to  NCP and now to APRC. I don’t know
what he is advocating for NCP now,” says  Darboe.

FARMERS TO RECEIVE PAYMENT OF D30  MILLION
By Yaya Dampha and Surakata  Danso
Mr. Kaba Jallow of GAMCO has informed  this paper that farmers will be paid
by his company, and the amount involved is  30 million dalasis.
He however refuted claims that the  Government has given directives to his c
ompany, asking them to pay farmers. He  said GAMCO has sold it’s nuts and have
decided to pay the farmers, noting this  is what had delayed the payment.
Mr. Jallow further informed Foroyaa that  this year, GAMCO bought 27, 000
tons of nuts which is valued at 130 million  dalasis.
He called on all stakeholders to workout  solutions that will increase
groundnut production in the country. He said  groundnut production has dropped from
140, 000 tons to 27, 000 tons. He said the  sharp decline in production is due
to the barrenness of the soil. He said  fertilizer and other essential inputs
are lacking.

“NADD  IS UNIQUE”
Says  Waa Juwara
As the 2006 presidential elections draws  closer, Mr. Lamin Waa Juwara, a
veteran Gambian politician, has described NADD  as a genuine and a unique
political force in the country, capable of remedying  the Socio-economic ills of the
Gambian people, witnessed under this present  Government.
Mr Juwara, an executive member of The  National Alliance for Democracy and
Development made this statement during a  political rally in Kani Kunda Tendala,
in the North Bank Division.
Mr Juwara urged the electorate of Kani  Kunda Tendala to vote massively for
Halifa Sallah (NADD’S presidential flag  bearer) whom he regards as a person of
stable character and of high recognition  both in the African continent and
outside.
The end of the well-attended political  rally was marked by the distribution
of information leaflets/ booklets on NADD  and the MOU that established NADD
to the people, particularly the youths, who  were eager to grap a copy.

GAF  PRO DECLINE TO COMMENT  ON
BAJINKA’S ABSCONDENCE

By Yaya Dampha
Major Kalifa Bajinka, the former ADC to  President Jammeh, who is reported to
be on the run after the Security Officers  failed in their attempts to arrest
him, is still at large. When this reporter  contacted the Gambia Armed Forces
Public Relations Officer, Captain Lamin Gano,  on why they want to arrest
Major Bajinka and why his two other brothers from the  army and another from the
NIA were arrested, PRO Gano said he could not talk  with the Chief of Defense
Staff (CDS). He later told our reporter that he had  contacted the CDS and
told him what Foroyaa was asking. He said the CDS told him  that they have more
important issues to deal with, that they cannot throw light  on a minor issue
such as Bajinka’s abscondence. Our reporter further told him  the importance of
his comments on the issue, hence it concerned the lives of  Soldiers. He told
our reporter to write whatever his information is and that he  will make his
comments any time when they are less  busy.

COMPOUNDS FLOODED IN  SERREKUNDA

BY Sarjo  Camara-Singhateh
Last Tuesday nights’ rain caused serious  destructions in Churchill’s Town
and Serrekunda. The effect was very serious on  some living around the Churchill
’s Town high way and on Papa Sarr’s Street close  to the taxi park at Ebony
This reporter conducted a tour of these  inundated areas and took snaps shots
from various points to show the impact on  people living within these areas.
Speaking to this reporter, a security  officer resident in one of the
compounds in the area said that at the start of  every rain season, they have to
spend the whole day cleaning the mud and  draining the water from their compounds.
The residents of Sanyang Kunda along  Papa Sarr  Street expressed similar
sentiments. Speaking to this  reporter, one Ousman Bah who said that the compound
he lives in belongs to his  late sister pointed out that they do not sleep
for the rest of the night after  every rainfall, since the rains started.
He said that there are three apartments  in the compound but each of them was
completely filled with water up to window  level and that they have to find
means to get rid of the water. He told this  reporter that the newly
constructed road has created a negative impact on their  lives, particularly during
their night rests. He said that now their compound is  flooded after every
rainfall and there is no adequate draining system in the  area. Speaking to this
reporter one Fatou Sarr who also lives on this street;  said that whenever they
see cloud forming they have the fear that they will not  sleep well.
We sit on our beds to wait for the rains  to stop, in order for us to empty
our rooms. “Our compound grounds are always  filled with water giving us no
place to pass,” she stated. One tailor, who also  spoke to this reporter,
indicated that they cannot even pass through their  veranda to enter of their
workshop, which is often filled with water.

BCC  LABOURERS DEMAND WAGE INCREASE
By Sarjo Camara  Singateh
Labourers working for the BCC have  threatened to lay down their tools if
their demands are not met. The demands of  the workers are contained in a
petition handed over to the authorities of the  council. The said workers are
demanding wage increase and improve working  conditions.
The petition was submitted during a  sit-down strike which was caused by a
series of problems that the worker alleged  is affecting them.  The Labourers
are calling on the Authorise to reinstate the ex-mayor, Pa Sallah Jeng.  The
workers alleged that they have been  treated badly following the suspension of
Pa Sallah  Jeng.
The spokesperson of the labourers, Mr  Lamin Sanyang, said they are faced
with numerous problems; notable among them is  their health status.  He said they
 wrote a letter to Mr Jallow, the cleansing service Manager, for on ward
transmission to the chief Executive officer and the Acting mayor.
They said that they are family heads and  that their plight needs to be
seriously considered.  They said each of them receive six  hundred dalasis as basic
salary, noting this amount is pittance compared to the  type of job they are
doing for the council.
One of the workers said he lost one of  his eyes when they were constructing
the Gambia High School Mosque, and  sustained a cut on his finger, but the
council did not give him anything as  compensation.
They also alleged that they sometimes  engaged in jobs that have negative
effect on their health. The angry labourers  expressed that the council gives
less attention to their plight.  They pointed out that they have been in  the
council for a long time, without being staffed.
Below we produce the petition written by  the labourers.
We the labourers at the cleansing  Services of Banjul City Council here by
put our collective concerns of the  following conditions, to the council.
1. The poor wages of D600.00 per month  for ten years without any increment.
2. The poor transport condition that is  transporting us to and from Banjul
in a truck that is already used for  collecting waste.
3. That for the last ten years none of  us have been staffed; thus working as
daily paid.
4. That due to the nature of our job our  health conditions are not
adequately taken care off.  Sir we have now agreed that if the above  condition is not
fully addressed by the first of August 2006, we will lay down  tools until
such time that they are fully  addressed.
We therefore hope that you will kindly  consider the above sad conditions of
ours as family heads.
When contacted the  Chief Executive Officer of the said Council, Mr.
Batchilly, told this reporter  that what brought about the strike was lack of
communication between the  cleansing Service Management and the labourers.
He indicated that the Council had  already made some adjustments well before
this sit down strike and that it was  already approved by the financial
Director.
He noted that by the end of this month;  a 50% increment will be added on the
salary of the affected workers and that all  their demands will be put into
consideration.
He remarked that the sit down strike was  illegal because the labourers have
not informed Management 14 days before the  strike according to law and that
they did not inform the labour  Department.

INDEPENDENT REPORTER’S CRIMINAL  CASE
By Fabakary B  Ceesay
The criminal case involving the  Independent Newsp
aper reporter, Lamin M Fatty and the state, continued at  the Kanifing
Magistrate Court. Testifying before Principal Magistrate, Kebba  Sanyang and
Corporal Lamin Cham, 1838, attached to the Major Crime Unit at the  Police
Headquarters said he recognized the accused person. He recalled on the  28th April,
2006, when he went to the NIA  office to caution the accused person in connection
to a false publication. He  said at the NIA Office, he introduced himself as a
Police Office. He said he  then read the cautionary words to the accused in
the presence of other officers  in the office. Officer Cham pointed out that he
also read the voluntary  statement to the accused in the presence of an
Independent witness by the name  Bakary Ceesay, who lives in Kotu. He said the
witness appended his signature on  the statement. According to Cham, he read the
statement to the accused and the  witness in English even though he does not
know whether the witness is literate  or illiterate, but noted that the witness
speaks Mandinka. The state prosecutor  Mballow asked the court for adjournment
for the third prosecution witness to  testify.

dGltZQMxMTU0NzE2NjQx?t=ms&k=Gambia+phone+card&w1=Gambia+phone+card&w2=Vision+o
f&w3=Government&w4=Zero+tolerance&w5=Gambia+flight&c=5&s=93&g=0&.sig=_JSU9jtxQ
MNmpfxOc-eQow)   _Vision  of_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMXVkMjlmBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMTI4NzE2MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDEzODc0BHNlYwN
zbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NzE2NjQx?t=ms&k=Vision+of&w1=Gambia+phone+card&w2=Vision+
of&w3=Government&w4=Zero+tolerance&w5=Gambia+flight&c=5&s=93&g=0&.sig=VRohvjRt
dz57czekoBb_6w)   _Government_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbDFoa2I4BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDMTI4NzE2MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDEzODc0BHNlYw
NzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NzE2NjQx?t=ms&k=Government&w1=Gambia+phone+card&w2=Visio
n+of&w3=Government&w4=Zero+tolerance&w5=Gambia+flight&c=5&s=93&g=0&.sig=-g3FRG
AyGZK8ht30rtHGEA)     _Zero  tolerance_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbG8xbmpyBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wAzQEZ3JwSWQDMTI4NzE2MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDEzO
Dc0BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NzE2NjQx?t=ms&k=Zero+tolerance&w1=Gambia+phone+
card&w2=Vision+of&w3=Government&w4=Zero+tolerance&w5=Gambia+flight&c=5&s=93&g=
0&.sig=4Keyyb6zAvFk7WxGHp5J3w)   _Gambia  flight_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaXVlOThxBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wAzUEZ3JwSWQDMTI4NzE2MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
xNjAwMDEzODc0BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NzE2NjQx?t=ms&k=Gambia+flight&w1=Gamb
ia+phone+card&w2=Vision+of&w3=Government&w4=Zero+tolerance&w5=Gambia+flight&c=
5&s=93&g=0&.sig=pZPx6pzdgbBt6DxVA7GBaw)